Hetep-Heres Chair stage two

Pete Bennett

Having decided against gilding the chair I have also decided not to spend the time on several coats of gesso either. So the chair has now had a thorough sanding and several coats of poly flatted off to 1000 grit wet or dry ready for the coats of paint and gold flakes. I must admit it seems almost a pity to paint it. What do you think?post-1421-0-87748700-1302631586_thumb.jp

I guess I could look up hetep-heres :)

Hi Vic Hetep Heres was the mother of Cheops (the builder of very large Pyramids) she lived in the forth dynasty around 4,600 years ago. The original chair was discovered in 1925. It is a much less curvy ornamental piece than my interpretation and was gilded. I have yet to add the binding around the stems of the Papyrus plants that infill the arms. The next piece in this series (which is for an Egyptian themed Bedroom) is the bed which will have similar styled bedside cabinets on either side of the head board. However the other pieces are really going to test me. The chest of drawers will be Anubis on his sled which will be gilded. Then two pieces that are really keeping me awake at night. They will be two wardrobes fashioned as the the Viscera Coffin of Tutankhamun one with the gold mask and head of Tutankhamun and one with the head of Nefertiti. It is at least a year long project.

Hi Vic Hetep Heres was the mother of Cheops (the builder of very large Pyramids) she lived in the forth dynasty around 4,600 years ago. The original chair was discovered in 1925. It is a much less curvy ornamental piece than my interpretation and was gilded. I have yet to add the binding around the stems of the Papyrus plants that infill the arms. The next piece in this series (which is for an Egyptian themed Bedroom) is the bed which will have similar styled bedside cabinets on either side of the head board. However the other pieces are really going to test me. The chest of drawers will be Anubis on his sled which will be gilded. Then two pieces that are really keeping me awake at night. They will be two wardrobes fashioned as the the Viscera Coffin of Tutankhamun one with the gold mask and head of Tutankhamun and one with the head of Nefertiti. It is at least a year long project.

Pete,

Do you have a blog? I'd love to follow those builds. They sound fascinating!

Pete,

Do you have a blog? I'd love to follow those builds. They sound fascinating!

No, but I am working with my web guy to update my website so I may begin a blog there. However, I hope to be able to post pieces at various stages on to this forum. (I hope Marc doesn't object?) At the moment the other pieces are very much in the design discussion stage but we have a fairly good relationship and most of the budget sorted so it shouldn't be too long before I begin on the bed. we are still pondering the finish for the chair.

Pete

No, but I am working with my web guy to update my website so I may begin a blog there. However, I hope to be able to post pieces at various stages on to this forum. (I hope Marc doesn't object?) At the moment the other pieces are very much in the design discussion stage but we have a fairly good relationship and most of the budget sorted so it shouldn't be too long before I begin on the bed. we are still pondering the finish for the chair.

Pete

Good enough. I KNOW that Marc doesn't mind. It's kinda what this is all about. ;o)