Equipment for Dream Shop

davionics

Hey all,

I can't find a posting for equipment items for a dream shop. I figured there would be one detailing if you could have any equipment delivered at no charge to your shop, what brands/sizes would you choose. (Keeping it real of course)

If you know of a post, can you steer me in the right direction? If there is no post maybe this will be a good time to start one. I'm curious if this will end up with all of one brand per shop or a huge mix of brands...

Table Saw

Jointer

Band Saw

Planer

Miter Saw

Shaper

Sanders

Lathe

Drill Press

Dust Collector

Dave

Finding free shipping would be a challenge these days. As for dream shop equipment and brands it depends on whose dream you want to go by. Also it depends on what size shop were talking here. My reality dream shop is a 12x30 shed. I noticed your dream list didn't include a air compressor, router table or drum sander.

For my "dream shop", most machines would be European in style. A nice sliding Felder TS, two bandsaws, one at least a 36" and one for smaller work. A 16" jointer, a 20" planer. 48" drum sander, oscillating spindle sander, horizontal mortiser, a full set of LN hand planes, a full set of Bad Axe Toolworks saws, high end Japanese planes and chisels, both paring and mortising. Around 100 clamps of varying sizes. Oh! And a hot brunette (I have one, but she doesn't hang out in the shop). A commercial spray booth, as well as guns and free haz mat pick up. Two nice Roubo benches, each with BenchCraft hardware....the list could go on and on.

I'd even pay shipping on Chet's clock.

Right now, I'm thinking a dream shop will have an A/C as summer's hell in Arizona is starting to rear its head.

Felder's are on a big sale this month, Vic. An AD741 could be yours today.

Get an Italian bandsaw; they are as solid as Berlusconi is promiscuous :)

I think the Powermatic 18"VS drill press is one of the best; though I have often heard the discontinued Delta 20" VS is better.

Festool or Mirka sanders; others may end up with the same finish, but none have the equivalent dust collection.

Do you want a shaper vs a router? They are certainly better for long lineal runs of molding, but the knives can be much more expensive. Granted, some take a 1/2" collet adapter. Also the shaper is useful if you grind your own knives.

'Dream' shop?

Marcou S55 smoother. Someday...

The Blue Spruce catalog, or at the very least a full set of their bench chisels and miniature chisels.

Eccentric or Medallion handsaws (if you want Eccentric, order -right-now-... he's closing up) Medallion will size it to your exact hand and set it for your typical wood; man, if that couldn't make me saw straight, nothing will

Harbor Freight staining pads :)

I'm with Wilbur, those serpentine spokes are beautiful. Is that a Carey?

Dream Jointer- Crescent 16"/General 880

Planer- Yates American B-224

Lathe= Oneway 2436

Drill Press- Buffalo 18

Radial Arm Saw- DeWalt GA

Shaper- vintage Delta HD

Table Saw- vintage Delta Unisaw

Bandsaw- Yates American Y20

I checkbook with a never ending money supply sitting on my bench (what am I the government?), a second bandsaw, the wall of hand planes behind Deneb in all the Lie Nielson videos, (no way I need all of them but if we are dreaming! ), and a 12" jointer for when I have too much stock for all those hand planes to be considered fun.

Nate

• 6 months later...

This post was quiet a good idea I think. I happen to be looking for the dream miter saw. MY budget is not unlimited, but I do this for a living, and I'm ready to put 2000$ in this if this is the price of THE miter saw I'll use for the next ten years.

So? Kapex? Dewalt? Milwaukee?

Knowing that I'm above all looking for something very accurate, but I'd like also to be able to use it as my everyday saw for timber frame (unless you tel me that's a crapy idea because not any saw will sty accurate if used like this?)

What little timber framing I've done was accomplished with a 16" Makita beam saw and a pair of Disston handsaws. I don't think a mitre saw is the best idea, they're too small and fragile. A better choice would be a radial arm saw, DeWalt made some fantastic models. Their capacity is big, they're built like tanks, and they are much more versatile than a mitre saw. If you're really lucky, you can find a "portable" unit, mounted on an axle and ready for towing to the jobsite.

I just had a look for what was an radial arm saw. OK, I found one by Dewalt indeed, it looks very tough... and weigth 115 kg! (230pounds more or less). That's definitively not what i am lokking for. Maybe one day to put it in my shop and just stay there. But now I a lokking for something polyvalent and realy transportable. (I will have to cary it in stairs by myself now and then)