attaching mdf mantel to existing brick fireplace

Freddie

Hey guys, im down in georgia visiting family and we tackled a room project which turned out to be an extreme makeover =). i built afireplace mantel out of mostly mdf, and i want to attach it to the brick with liquid adhesive.My question is what adhesaive should i use. We had pl 375 but i did some research and it is not recommended for temps over 160 degrees f. Pl premium says it works in hot and cold environments, while pl 400 is recommended for apps requiring heat resistence greater than 150 degrees f. I will be applying the mdf board directly to the brick, so will one of these be suitable for me? please help we need to finish this room so i can go back home to ny!!!!!!

*note in the picture that i have not yet cut out the board around the opening, that will be done before we attach it to the brick.

post-3732-0-43495500-1303580734_thumb.jp

I think I would use masonry anchors, it's just a plastic or lead sheild that inserts into a hole drilled into the brick. when the appropriate screw is inserted it expands the shield and allows the screw to suck up tight than just plug the hole with a wooden bung, or wood filler and sand flush. This is a standard item at any hardware store, you'll probly need a masonry drill bit bricks are soft enough just a regular drill will do the trick.

I think I would use masonry anchors, it's just a plastic or lead sheild that inserts into a hole drilled into the brick. when the appropriate screw is inserted it expands the shield and allows the screw to suck up tight than just plug the hole with a wooden bung, or wood filler and sand flush. This is a standard item at any hardware store, you'll probly need a masonry drill bit bricks are soft enough just a regular drill will do the trick.

Yea, I would strongly consider screws, but it is not my brick. Plastic anchors in masonry are a lot stronger than most people think.

Thanks guys, maybe a combination of the 2? They have a big heavy mirror going on top of the mantle. there are anchors with wire that attaches it from the top but the mirror still rests its full weight on the mantel so i want to make sure i take every precaution to make sure it will not go anywhere. To get an idea of the size of the mirror, it is only a few inches narrower than the length of the mantel and from the shelf its about 3-4 inches shy of the ceiling, and its heavayy