Jerry S

What's your favorite finish for jewelry boxes

8 posts in this topic

I'm working on a jewelry box and am having troubles deciding what finish I should use on it. I is made of curly maple and walnut. So obviously the part I want to "show off" is the curly maple top and drawer fronts. For lack of a better term, what do you think is a "heirloom" finish for a project like this?

The ones I've thought about so far are BLO, GF top coat, Watco Danish Oil, Shellac, and a water based poly.

(If a photo helps inspire or opinion-ate, I'll be working on that next.)

Thanks,

Jerry S

Nice box; I like the curves and contrasting woods.

I'd say Waterlox. I've only used it once, and it was on a jewelry box. I was really impressed with the stuff. Not cheap and it tends to gel in the can once the can gets half full, but very nice. You'll want to brush it on, not wipe. Can use a badger hair or synthetic brush.

I've had great success with Tried & True Original Finish. I used it on a card box for a wedding made out of bird's eye/curly maple and walnut.

Card_Box_1.jpg

Ah ha! I knew Mr Waterlox would chime in :) What do you do about the stuff gelling when the amount of air in the can increases? I was leaning towards pouring out the can into a couple jars and leaving very little air at the top although right now my can is only 1 jewelry box away from full...

What do you do about the stuff gelling when the amount of air in the can increases?

I remember a TWW video, but I can't find it. Maybe it was a Q&A?

As I recall the two popular methods are:

• Use a product which displaces the oxygen in the container
  • drop marbles or something else relatively inert into the finish so the fluid level is near the lid.

EDIT: I found this "question of the week".

Ah ha! I knew Mr Waterlox would chime in :) What do you do about the stuff gelling when the amount of air in the can increases? I was leaning towards pouring out the can into a couple jars and leaving very little air at the top although right now my can is only 1 jewelry box away from full...

I bought a gallon of it two years ago and it's still pouring freely. Bloxygen really works.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Popular Now

• Topics

• Trees
      I did not stick around to find out.
    • Trees
      Full disclosure, I didn't like Rush before I joined a band and had to learn a bunch of it... before that, I could not get passed that voice. After learning their songs (I play bass for those that do not know), I became an instant fan. Strong driving bass lines. There are plenty of people that think the bass should be in the background, and play root notes and maybe a walking line from time to time... Those people need help. As far as comparing Rush to Cream.. I absolutely love Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker. However, Clapton is one of the most over rated jerkfaced blues rip offs to ever walk this planet. I cannot stand his arrogance. Jack Bruce said it best when he stated that if he had Claptons looks nobody would know who Clapton was. I mean, Clapton is a good guitarist.. No where near the legendary status he seems to occupy. If you need proof of this, there is a clapton and friends concert where Mark Knopfler makes Clapton look like a 9 year old learning his first notes. Absolutely blows him out of the water. But nobody knows that Mark Knopfler is one hell of a guitarist. But sorry... for me, Rush wins that one hands down. No idea how people don't see the skill in what they are doing. Peart, Lee, and Lifeson... wow, all of them are very talented guys. If you don't see it, perhaps a listen to some earlier stuff is in order. Not the stuff with Rutsey either. Listen to La Villa and YYZ, then come back... Comparing any of these guys to SRV is just plain silly. Go to an open jam. If there is a good guitarist they can fill in most of the songs. Nothing complicated happening behind the guitar... If you know blues, you can play it all. I am glad someone brought up Trower. Besides being affectionately referred to as "white Jimi", he can certainly hold his own. Trower and Jack Bruce got together on an album a few years ago. Worth checking out.    
    • Looking for feedback on- Veritas Dowel Maker Set
      I text the wife. Me- Ya know those Oakley sunglasses I passed on the other day?? Well I was thinking of getting a new tool instead. Her- Can't you borrow Shanes? Me- He doesn't own thi...wait, he just posted that he does own it. Her- Yeah, ofcourse he does. The ONLY tool he doesn't have is that stupid bullnose plane you never use. Me- I use that thing all the time! Her- Good, then make some dowels with it.   Actually, Just the first line is true...waiting on an answer, from the boss.    
    • Trees
      Did that guy at the traffic light have a happy ending, feasting on that dried out hunk of nasal mucus ore?   -Ace-
  • Popular Contributors

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room