What do you use to strain paint?

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Perhaps a fruit collander?

Posted

How viscous is the paint? If it's fairly low viscosity, you could use cheesecloth. What size particulates are you looking to filter out?

Posted

booger sized. seriously, some chunks of I-dont-know-what, and some sawdust my 3 yo threw in the can. he thought that was cool.

Posted

I usually yell at it under bright lights until it breaks. OH...nevermind. I see this was a different type of straining. :D

Posted

The paper strainers from the paint store are about as cheap as you can get less than $1/ea. They come in medium and fine meshes. I also use a regular fine kitchen strainer that's about 4" in diameter for water based stuff. I learned my lesson when I used one for solvent based finish and forgot to wash it out. That was the end of that strainer. Here's a set of three for about $10.

Posted

I use old coffee filters. Everyone seems to like that dark espresso finish these days, so what's the harm?

(Loogie has good advise.)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Topics

• Rubbing out time! Wax finish vs Wax polish?
      By dausone · Posted
      Hey everyone, Comes the time to apply some wax and I have been left a bit perplexed. My wax finish is more in line with a traditional Sam Maloof recipe sans tung, 80% linseed/ 20% wax. I am applying it similarly, after my top coat is dry, burnishing with 0000 steel wool, a good heated rub onto the surface, coming back the next day with a dry cotton rag. The results seem great, surface is slick with a soft sheen. But I am wondering what the difference would be by using a non-drying oil, such as mineral oil + wax instead of the drying oil? It seems that the latter process is in line with most articles online for rubbing out. Maybe the Sam Maloof method does something here that I am not able to comprehend, or the other way around, that the non-drying oil method is doing something that I am not able to comprehend. Seems like both provide adequate results, SM finish is a basic finish whereas the wax / non-drying oil is more of a polish? Thoughts here?
    • Hand Tool Cabinet
      By micks · Posted
       Thanks. How long did you let the DO cure before applying the ARS?
    • Utile, Hard Maple and Ambrosia Maple student desk
      By Mike. · Posted
      drawer pulls take 1.  I think i they are a little too bulky.  
    • What Topcoat
      By micks · Posted
      Picture, if you will...  
    • My shop overhaul
      By Mike. · Posted
      agreed on the splices looking funny.  In cook county we don't use romex (rigid metal pipe only) and the electricians always pull enough wire to reach the circuits without the splices.  Not sure if what you did meets code but it certainly looks like a homeowner specia. 
  • Popular Contributors

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room