Table saw arbor nut

I went to change a blade in my TS and the arbor spins when I try to remove the nut. How can I fix it??? Yes I know which way to turn it. I clearly overtightened it. I installed a thinner plywood blade (80 tooth Freud) that I hadn't used in long time. The TS is a Grizzly 1022 contractor saw. Everything turns including the motor/belt.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks for the reply. I was getting ready to remove the right-hand top wing to look for that. I tried a fix that worked and I will post here to close the post.

Jam a hardwood wedge between the pulley and the belt and then turn the nut. Worked like a charm.

I'm in the middle of two projects and could not afford the downtime - even though this is a hobby.

You didn't understand the post my friend. The arbor and belt (and motor) turned with the bolt. There was little resistance.

In my first post I mentioned the lock button style and the two wrenches style, I forgot the simplest method where you just use a piece of scrap wood to keep the blade from spinning.

Essentially, you figured out the proper method on your own. You just put the piece of wood in the pulley instead of the blade.

I apologize if you wasted time looking for something that wasn't there, because of my first post.

In my first post I mentioned the lock button style and the two wrenches style, I forgot the simplest method where you just use a piece of scrap wood to keep the blade from spinning.

Essentially, you figured out the proper method on your own. You just put the piece of wood in the pulley instead of the blade.

I apologize if you wasted time looking for something that wasn't there, because of my first post.

Picture this - you have a piece of wood locking the blade from spinning and the wrench turns the nut, the arbor and the belt (any therefore the motor). Somehow I have failed to communicate clearly - sorry for the confusion. I have changed hundreds of blades.

I think you explained it well - I've just never seen a case where the nut was loose enough to let the blade spin, but resisted turning enough to turn the arbor, pulley, belt, and motor. So, I assumed that you just didn't know how to change a blade. My mistake.

Now that you've got the nut off, did you find any rust or dirt on the threads? I'd clean the threads with a wire brush and protect them with some oil or wax before putting the nut back on. But it sounds like you are one step ahead of me.

I was about to ask if there was an arbor washer in place capnjack when you asked about teflon sticking to it. bmchan...do you have a proper arbor washer in place? If so...even the old Rockwell I inherited has a two flat spots on the arbor where a thin wrench can be slid on in order to hold the arbor from spinning when loosening the arbor nut...does your saw have something like that?

Now I remember how it happened to me. I usually use one wrench and a piece of scrap to keep the blade from spinning. It was a Freud also. Well, it must have been too tight, like you said, Bmchan. Anyway, the whole arbor was turning and so was the motor, etc. So got out the other wrench and held the arbor still while I took off the nut. Noticed a lot of red on the washer so I sanded it off and put on the new blade.

Jack