Completed Wall Hanging Cabinet

This is my version of the winter's guild build wall hanging cabinet. I decided to keep the same dimensions but rotate it 90 deg which fits our bathroom a little better.

I went with walnut for the the main construction along with walnut veneer ply for the doors and stained ply for the back. I used a leigh jig to cut the dovetails for both the case and drawers. The finish was 3 coats of a satin wiping varnish.

The cabinet has been in our bathroom for about a month now and one of the drawers has swelled to the point where it can't be pushed in all the way... time to get the block plane out!!

Like most projects, there are always surprises, and this one was no exception. I purchased some nice figured veneer for the doors, but it was extremely waving. In my first attempt ever to flatten very waving veneer I used a recipe I found online that uses some glue. Clamped it all up, but I forgot the step to add some mesh in between the paper and veneer. You can guess what happened... I had nice paper veneer with a walnut core! Plan B ended up purchasing flatter veneer.

post-646-0-30992100-1304902476_thumb.jpg

post-646-0-92215900-1304902511_thumb.jpg

post-646-0-91799900-1304902533_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...