Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rob Lopez

Question on Durable Kitchen Cabinet Finish

4 posts in this topic

Hey Peeps....

Yet another kitchen cabinet finish question here....

I am in the process of making some European style kitchen cabinets. My choiceof Door and Drawer face material is Alder. Inexpensive, light and very easy towork with.

The finishing process I had planned to use was a 3 step process...

1. Boiled linseed oil

2. Amber Shellac

3. General Finishes Enduro-Var Water-BasedUrethane

I would appreciate any thoughts if this finish is too much or would simplecoats of some GF semi-gloss be enough. I wanted to tint the wood just a tadwith the Oil, then seal the oil with the shellac while adding a hit of amber toease the light green the oil produces, and then top everything with the Enduro-Var.

The biggest question is will the Enduro-Var hold up to daily use?

I'm doing some testing now with the GF Enduro Var on Cherry. So far, I have applied it straight to the sample without anything else. It is darkening the wood similar to what BLO will do so you might not need that. Also, I think the instructions say to not apply over another oil but I may not be correct. At any rate, make sure the BLO cures fully before putting anything else on top.

As far as durability, the Enduro is supposed to be superior and should be fine for a kitchen based on what I've read so far.

Good luck.

I'm doing some testing now with the GF Enduro Var on Cherry. So far, I have applied it straight to the sample without anything else. It is darkening the wood similar to what BLO will do so you might not need that. Also, I think the instructions say to not apply over another oil but I may not be correct. At any rate, make sure the BLO cures fully before putting anything else on top.

As far as durability, the Enduro is supposed to be superior and should be fine for a kitchen based on what I've read so far.

Good luck.

Thanks so much for the input. I just need to answer to a higher power (wife) in this case and seem a little confident.

Yes, I can understand that! Maybe our wives are in cahoots! My wife wants a nice smooth finish but not too glossy, but I went with the semi-gloss anyway. I figure I can knock it down with wax if I need to.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Popular Now

• Topics

• The hand tool equivalent to the bandsaw is a bow saw or frame saw. Watch a video of frame saw resewing in action and it'll make you rethink these hand tool only shenanigans    Jokes aside, it certainly can be done and more power to you!
    • Wen isn't a Home Depot brand... that's pretty much Ryobi and Ridgid. Wen is just a company that bought an old name, and is selling rebadged generic Chinese equipment.   You'll see this stuff over and over with various brand names. Like that 10 in bandsaw is also sold by Rikon, Craftsman, etc.  
    • Made some more progress over the past few days. Slower going than I'd like but we're getting closer to the finish line now. I have two other projects going on right now with rapidly approaching deadlines so my chair is having to play second fiddle. Not a ton of pictures today but I'll have a lot more once things start going into assemblies again.   So with the arms bent and mortises cut (which of course I didn't take pics of, oops) the next step is the side slats. For those who haven't seen the guild build, you use a slot cutter to cut a groove the entire length of side rails. You then glue in filler pieces between the slats. This is done so as as to avoid having to cut some pretty complex curved mortises and tenons on the slats. After doing it this way, I have mixed feelings about the process. Its definitely WAY easier and faster. However, I'm not 100% happy with the results. Maybe with some more meticulous grain matching it'd be better. And obviously the pieces haven't been finish prepped yet so there's still a little glue that'll go away. Hopefully with finish applied, the results will be great. A note of caution to those who plan on building this. It is extremely important to get the perfect fit on the slats. Shoot for a tight fit off the machines and then finesse with a plane so you get a perfect fit. Some of my slats were a little too tight and it made things difficult while trying to fit the filler pieces.   Here are the chair back stiles. Nothing complicated, just some template routing. I got lucky with a perfect board for these pieces. Both stiles came from the same board and the grain followed the curves really well. I like the profile of the chair back a lot. I think its going to be quite comfortable.   The back slats. This is where things may get a bit interesting. Like I said, I'm on a bit of a time crunch with other projects going. I also may be taking a new job and having to pack up shop and move at any time now. So I really need to get this thing done asap. To try to speed things up a bit, I decided to skip the bent lamination for the back slats and cut them out of solid stock. I have a ton of leftover 8/4 cherry cut offs (not complaining) that should work quite well. Cutting the tenons was much easier this way as well. I was running out of time for the evening so this is how they sit currently. I didn't want to cut the curves until I can get them locked into their mortises the same day. I'm using some pretty straight-grained lumber but I'm a little worried these are going to move excessively on me.   Comments and critiques always welcome. More to come soon. Hopefully tomorrow. Beer time.
    • Flip side, discovering benefits of avoiding gluten for those folks is creating tremendous healing for my sisters with Hasimoto's thyroiditis which happens to be very tricky to diagnose but easy to "treat."
    • I am in a very interesting and exciting place at the moment with regards to woodworking. At the moment, I really only own a Dewalt circular saw, and a Dewalt chop saw. I've been using my buddy's workshop, where he has a nice Delta table saw, drill press, and all that jazz. I am in the process of house hunting, and a garage/workshop is #1 priority for me. My mind has been twirling with visions of designing a dust collection system, buying my own first real table saw, getting a drill press, slot mortiser, planer, jointer... oh man...!  But, literally, all of the sudden, I am just so turned off by the idea of all that. I'd end up sinking $10,000 into a workshop full of loud, dangerous, bulky, and power hungry machines.  Since I joined this site, I've been watching loads of Paul Sellers, Richard McGuire (The English Woodworker), David Barron, George Nakashima, Chosuke Miyahira (Miya Shoji), and all the tons of woodworkers there are on YouTube that just use chisels and hand saws. Guys... I gotta tell ya, I am in love! Suddenly a $5K table saw sounds like a huge annoying space hog. I do not plan to sell pretty much a single damn thing, so I don't have to worry about speed or using a table saw to buzz out 100 identical table legs. I will literally only ever be making 4 at a time. I'd rather take the $10K for a band saw, table saw etc... and buy a low-angled jack plane, a smoothing plane, a block plane, a rabbit plane, a set of nice chisels, a cross-cut, rip, and carcass saws, and spend the remaining $8K on some amazing 1/4 sawn white oak, some nice walnut, maple, and mahogany. Maybe even some of the goofy looking Zebra wood everyone wants now. I do just have some questions though. One of my dreams is to make an acoustic guitar from rough sawn boards. How would someone re-saw an 8" wide, 2" thick, 20" long board of sitka spruce to make a book-matched board that is about 1/16-1/8" thick? I've seen foot driven lathes, and even some water driven Shaker table saws, but I've never seen a hand-worker's replacement for a band saw for re-sawing. Anyone got an idea?
  • Popular Contributors

• Who's Chatting