anyone got/used the incra hingecrafter

gardnesd

• 5 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have one that I bought about 4 years ago, used it once, and it's been sitting on the shelf since. What it does for you is to allow drilling straight and centered holes in your hinge stock for the hinge pins. It does not help you create the hinge stock shape itself. But it does what it was designed for, quite well. Unfortunately, it is only designed to be used with one diameter of brass rod (1/8"). even though it has provision for making several different sized hinges. A similar jig is also available for Metric users with a metric drill bit.  You will need to prepare the stock (end grain edge of the stock) via some method of creating box joint type cuts in the end grain of the stock, then two passes with a bull nose router bit mounted in a router table (one with the stock flat, and one on edge to make the barrel curve) is required to shape the stock before using the Hinge Crafter, a power drill, and an included long drill bit to make the hinge pin holes. The hinge stock bbcreated are then cut to length and glued or screwed into mortises much like would be done to attach conventional metal hinges. Hinges longer than the jig can be made by incrementing the hinge stock through the jig and  drilling the hinge pin hole from opposite ends, but a longer drill bit would be required for hinges longer than about 2X of the jig length.  Keep in mind also that the hinges made must have the wood grain oriented at a right angle to the hinge pin or the hinge will not be very strong. Still, wooden hinges are quite unique, and can be very attractive if made well. I will be using my Hinge Crafter again soon.

Charley

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

My comment about the hinge pin size was because I wanted a smaller hinge pin, but if you wanted larger, I suppose that you could do this. Unfortunately, the jig only allows for several different barrel spacings, and not different barrel diameters. The jig is designed to help you drill the hinge pin hole in the center of the hinge barrels only, and not designed to accept different hinge barrel diameters.  The 1/8" diameter pin is fine for this barrel diameter, but I found it difficult to find the 1/8" brass rod, although 1/16 and 3/32" seemed to be readily available.  I later found the 1/8" at a welding supply shop.

@Midlife,

I once worked for Adast, the printing press manufacturer in Adamov. I was their only North American Electrical  Factory Service Rep for about 5 years and my territory was all of North America and the Caribbean. I was in your country several times to learn about the new press models. I wish I had been able to see more of the  country while I was there, but did get to see a bit of Prague, Bruno, Blansko, Adamov, and Machoca.  That job got me to see a lot of North America and the Caribbean as well.

Charley