http://www.philadelphiawoodworks.com/

Beechwood Chip

I just found out about Philadelphia Woodworks. It sounds too good to be true: a well equipped shop open 7 days a week with skilled instructors (if you need them), a selection of wood, and space to store your projects. But, "The terms and pricing of membership are being finalized..." that part I believe. It's easy to be everything anyone could want when you haven't worked out the details.

Is anyone here involved with these guys? I'm definitely interested in checking them out. I've got a half equipped shop crammed into an oddly shaped basement. It might be worth the inconvenience of having to drive there to be able to dive right into "real" projects instead of "shop" projects. And, as Marc pointed out, there are a lot fewer distractions when your shop isn't at your home.

I just found out about Philadelphia Woodworks. It sounds too good to be true: a well equipped shop open 7 days a week with skilled instructors (if you need them), a selection of wood, and space to store your projects. But, "The terms and pricing of membership are being finalized..." that part I believe. It's easy to be everything anyone could want when you haven't worked out the details.

Is anyone here involved with these guys? I'm definitely interested in checking them out. I've got a half equipped shop crammed into an oddly shaped basement. It might be worth the inconvenience of having to drive there to be able to dive right into "real" projects instead of "shop" projects. And, as Marc pointed out, there are a lot fewer distractions when your shop isn't at your home.

I hope you can lock up your work when you leave. I'd be worried about using a nice piece of wood and have it turn up missing. But, other than that, it sounds like a very cool idea.

I hope you can lock up your work when you leave. I'd be worried about using a nice piece of wood and have it turn up missing. But, other than that, it sounds like a very cool idea.

"Ample storage for members’ materials, tools and projects so no need to carry everything back and forth."

It seems like they've thought of everything - now they just have to find a way to do it at an affordable price.

"Ample storage for members’ materials, tools and projects so no need to carry everything back and forth."

It seems like they've thought of everything - now they just have to find a way to do it at an affordable price.

It sounds great, even if you have your own shop. Hopefully, there is some good talent there. That alone would make membership worth it.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

i just heard about Philadelphia Woodworks and it sounds like the perfect place for me, a post-grad artist, without a shop. since my alma mater is not so keen on letting me use the woodshop there, i need a space and tools to be able continue with my freelance work.. i emailed michael@philadelphiawoodworks.com and they are very willing to share info and also invited me to come see the shop, which i plan on doing within the next week or so.. now if the price is right i might just be in business!! B)

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have some MDF to route, and it would be worth some bucks not to have all that dust in my basement. My shop isn't really set up yet, so it might be nice to use when I don't have the right tool, and until I get my dust collection worked out.

It sounds like a good option for someone in an apartment or row-home that doesn't have the space for a shop.