Mineral Oil vs. Butcher Block Oil

11 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I'm trying to find out if there is any difference between mineral oil (sold as a laxative) and butcher block oil. The reason I ask is because a pint of mineral oil as a laxative can be purchased for $2.63 from Amazon and a pint of General Finishes butcher block oil is $8.99 from Woodcraft.

As far as I can tell both are just plain mineral oil. According to the General Finishes MSDS the butcher block oil also contains a small amount of vitamin E, but I have also seen this listed on some laxatives. Has anybody had any experience with this?

http://www.amazon.com/Cumberland-Swan-Mineral-Oil-Pt/dp/B000QFUQFS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1307996820&sr=1-1

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2003233/1773/Butcher-Block-Oil-Pint-Saf.aspx

Posted · Report post

From my experience, they are the same exact product (for our purposes). Even if it weren't the same exact product, the standard mineral oil works well enough that its worth buying to save significant money.

Posted · Report post

So what did you finish that cutting board with? Oh, a laxative I purchased off Amazon. :blink:

It's all in what you call it. :D

Posted · Report post

So, is the vitamin E added to the laxative for people, and they have to list it when it's sold as a wood finish, or is the vitamin E added to the finish for the wood, and they have to list it when it's sold as a laxative?

Posted · Report post

I go to one of those 1.00 stores and get my mineral oil for 1.29. Right next door to it is a CVS that charges 4.29.

Posted · Report post

Its a marketing hype, where they label it as food grade finish. Same thing as General salad bowl finish. Its just thinned down varnish.

You can buy it cheaper at CVS, any pharmacy stores.

I recommend using mixture of mineral oil and either paraffin or beeswax as a finish for your cutting boards.

Posted · Report post

Thanks for the info everybody. I'll try the plain mineral oil and save a few dollars.

So, is the vitamin E added to the laxative for people, and they have to list it when it's sold as a wood finish, or is the vitamin E added to the finish for the wood, and they have to list it when it's sold as a laxative?

I think I saw somewhere that the vitamin E was for stability.

Posted · Report post

like everyone else says, butcherblock oil is a $10 bottle of mineral oil

Posted · Report post

Vitamin E is added to oils as a natural disinfectant and rancidity retardant.

Posted · Report post

I go to one of those 1.00 stores and get my mineral oil for 1.29. Right next door to it is a CVS that charges 4.29.

Thanks for the tip about the dollar store. I will have to look for USP grade mineral oil there.

SQ

Posted · Report post

Its a marketing hype, where they label it as food grade finish. Same thing as General salad bowl finish. Its just thinned down varnish.

You can buy it cheaper at CVS, any pharmacy stores.

I recommend using mixture of mineral oil and either paraffin or beeswax as a finish for your cutting boards.

I agree, I make up the USP grade mineral oil and beeswax. It's inexpensive to make and keeps well in a covered container. I use it on boxes, bowls, cutting boards, wooden kitchen utensils, etc. Quick and easy to apply and looks great.

SQ

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Topics

• My shop overhaul
      By Cliff · Posted
      This post will bring the thread up to date on where I am with my project. I would say it took about 16 hours to do all the electrical work. That was partially due to some people stopping by to see my friend and slowing him down, and partially because we had no light for 4 of those hours. The fuse box, 60 amps from the house. I think right now there is 2 20 amp breakers (maybe!,) 1 30 amp breaker (again, maybe?) and there is a 220 in there in case I someday get a tool that requires that. Three switches. One controls one-half of 3 outlets on the ceiling, another controls another one-half of three outlets on the ceiling (these are for lights.) and honestly I can't remember what the other switch is for. Either for the motion light outside or for the air conditioner/heating outlet. My job Sunday morning was to pound an 8-foot grounding rod. This was not enjoyable. Three GFCI outlets, per code, to start each run out of the box. Actually, I think the rightmost is the A/C outlet and doesn't continue past this. Only need one outlet on that breaker. Since there are 15 outlets, didn't take pics of all of them. This is an example of how they are laid out on the ceiling. Since one side of each of these is turned on/off via switch, when I hang the lights, they will plug into that side. The others are always live. There are a total of seven ceiling outlets, and I'm going to try to find a way to run my table saw up to one of those as it will sit in the center of the garage and I don't want any extension cords to get in my way. I will still need to go use the wire staples to clean up stuff, though he didn't have a lot of slack. I also have to patch some holes as we had to skip some outlets on the back wall because it was too hard to fish because of how I did some things when I was putting up drywall. And since those outlets were in the clamp/wood rack area I thought it unlikely I'd have any tools there anyway. To save time we just removed them from the plan and added one right in the center next to the garage door opener so I could have my current light plugged in while I work on the other lighting. Speaking of.. next steps: 1. I have six lights. 4 are free from my wife's dad who used to be a salesman and got "stuck" with 15 office building lights. I will have to put plugs on each of those plus one of the ones that currently hang in my garage. They I will be hanging these lights. 2. Finish insulation and drywall. This is being held back by financial considerations. I just pretty much buy a roll of insulation every paycheck. 3. My floor is remarkably broken and unlevel. We're talking a 2 inch drop from one side of my workbench to the other. That is across 23 inches. The right thing to do is repour. Unfortunately that is not an argument I can win with my wife, who rightly points out that to pour a new floor would be spending $2000 that we need to use to waterproof the basement or start remodeling the kitchen. So my solution - build a floating floor. For about $250-300 I can have a flat and level floor. I'll need to raise the side garage door about 2 inches though. And this will bring my garage floor nearly level with the driveway. 4. After the floor is done - built-in cabinets on the back wall. 5. Ceiling. Because the rafters are at different heights, and are more than 24" oc, AND we just ran wire where I would install new rafters - we're going to have to do something besides drywall. I'm thinking 1/2" plywood painted white, then blow insulation into the top.   I will update this thread once I get more done but it's a pretty long timeline.    
    • An argument ensued ...
      By sjeff70 · Posted
      Your fault or the router's?
    • Rockwell RT40
      By sjeff70 · Posted
      +1
    • Festool Track saw review, AvE
      By Cochese · Posted
      You know, that's pretty accurate from my time on FOG. There's one guy who bought every single tool (or nearly) and didn't use them for the longest time. I can think of better ways to spend six figures, but that's not my money I suppose. For some, systainers are a status symbol.
    • Hand Tool Cabinet
      By Cochese · Posted
      Might seem simple to you, but it's a brilliant idea that I'd like to shamelessly steal. If you ever care to share some pics of how they are attached to the case, I'd love to see.
  • Popular Contributors

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room