Plywood WHC

Renzo

So i've finally started the WHC. I had planned to build along in real time, but wasn't able to. I'm going with the Plywood version, mainly because i've not really used plywood for any "real" projects before. I'm using mahogany plywood, I had wanted to go walnut by my wood store was out and he gave me a great deal on the mahogany.

This will be living in a bathroom which really doesn't get much use. We have a bathroom in our basement which has a shower but in the year we've lived here it's never been used, so i'm not concerned with mold and moisture. We don't have much room for hand towels or TP storage, so this will come in very handy.so I'm thinking of going with BLO or just a wipe on poly. Any suggestions as to which i should use?

I've completed the case construction and am just about to start prefinishing. I was really tempted to complete the build and then finish, but reading Marc's book has given me (at least temporarily:) enough patience to look at the finish as part of the buiding process, rather than something i need to rush through at the end.

Renzo,

I'm a real fan of BLO, Danish oil, tung oil, etc. I never enjoyed the look of a film finish. I feel that for your situation a few coats of oil should do it. Watco says to flood it on, wait a half hour and then wipe off, in preparation for a second light coat. Sounds like a waste to me. Like lather, rinse, repeat. I say let it soak in before you buff it and put on the second coat. Oil is an enduring finish; it's worth waiting for.

P.S. Let's see some pictures!!

Jack

The piece of 4/4 mahogany I got seems to have warped. So i've just used it for the solid edgebanding so far. I'd have to get more to make the doors.

I was actually considering doing the doors in maple instead, while still using 1/4 mahogany ply for the inserts. You think that would look good?

Oiled mahogany should look sweet. Maybe an accent of maple or something for the handles.....

Jack