#1 duckkisser

duckkisser

Master Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts
  • Locationbourbonnais......thats just south of chicago

Posted 19 June 2011 - 06:25 PM

ok first up little bit of sucking up but i think this is a good idea. I would be nice to find people who share my new passion. my family just smile and nod when i start talking about a particular piece of wood i picked for a dime. so if anyone is inturested in meeting up i live in bourbonnais which is a couple of hours south of down town chicago. would love to meet up over dinner or a drink sometime(especialy any female wood workers a rare thing i know) and chew the fat over how our lives have been directed by woodworking.
  • leann.jean.edwards likes this

#2 Chuck M

Chuck M

Apprentice Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationMt. Vernon, IL

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:21 AM

I know this is a older post, but I am from about 3.5 hours south of you. I am new to MWA and was just checking out this section of the forum.

Chuck

#3 duckkisser

duckkisser

Master Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:36 AM

never got a response on this post but i have goten together with a few wood workers in the area . perhaps we can get together some time when one or the other is coming north or south like when i go visit my sister for the weekend. dont want to drive 3.5 hours but maybe somewhere in the middle if we have a reason to travel in the right direction.

#4 Dave F

Dave F

Journeyman Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationCentral Illinois..... for now.

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:57 PM

Did this ever happen? It'd be nice if it did, but I'm kinda hoping it's still in the wind..
I'd like to go.....

#5 duckkisser

duckkisser

Master Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:19 PM

nope never happened just one on one meet with someone where are your located perhaps you and me can get together for lunch some weekend.

#6 Dave F

Dave F

Journeyman Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:08 PM

I'm Bloomington. Not too far away.

#7 duckkisser

duckkisser

Master Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:48 AM

well next time you come north or i come south lets get together im going to add you to my friends list.

#8 Dave F

Dave F

Journeyman Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:25 AM

Great, that sounds like a plan.

#9 MansFineFurn

MansFineFurn
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:57 AM

Hey Guys, just noticed this thread. We don't currently have an chicago/IL Modern Woodworkers Association chapter, and we're always looking for good people to start up regional chapters. It's not too much responsibility, mostly just organizing outings and get togethers to talk wood, or visit woodworking related events. There's quite a bit planned for the future for chapters and members alike. If anyone is interested in stepping up, send us an email: modernwoodworkersassociation@gmail.com and we'll fill you in on the role and responsibilities. Looking forward to a new chapter!
  • neanderthal likes this

#10 JayWC

JayWC

Journeyman Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 381 posts
  • LocationElgin, IL

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:08 PM

Hey Guys, just noticed this thread. We don't currently have an chicago/IL Modern Woodworkers Association chapter, and we're always looking for good people to start up regional chapters. It's not too much responsibility, mostly just organizing outings and get togethers to talk wood, or visit woodworking related events. There's quite a bit planned for the future for chapters and members alike. If anyone is interested in stepping up, send us an email: modernwoodworkersassociation@gmail.com and we'll fill you in on the role and responsibilities. Looking forward to a new chapter!

I emailed you guys a few months ago. Probably February. Let's get a chapter going.

#11 Chris Adkins

Chris Adkins

Apprentice Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts
  • Twitter:HighRockWW
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:28 PM

Jay, we were slow about getting things going. I just sent an e-mail to potential chapter heads. Shoot me another e-mail and I will forward to you. I do apologies for not getting back to you.

#12 duckkisser

duckkisser

Master Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:52 PM

im all for this there are a few turning clubs and groups around just none are that close most are several hours away what we realy need is a south chicago suberb group.

#13 JayWC

JayWC

Journeyman Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 381 posts
  • LocationElgin, IL

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:58 PM

Jay, we were slow about getting things going. I just sent an e-mail to potential chapter heads. Shoot me another e-mail and I will forward to you. I do apologies for not getting back to you.

If in the end we get something going no apologies are needed. However, since you did I was taught to acknowledge and accept your apology. :-) I'll go back and find the email and pick it up again.

#14 Chris Adkins

Chris Adkins

Apprentice Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts
  • Twitter:HighRockWW
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:37 AM

Sounds good Jay. I will look for the e-mail.

#15 Dave F

Dave F

Journeyman Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:53 PM

Hey Guys, just noticed this thread. We don't currently have an chicago/IL Modern Woodworkers Association chapter, and we're always looking for good people to start up regional chapters.

I'm in Bloomington.. Is that too far afield for a Chicago chapter?

#16 dczward

dczward
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • Twitter:dczward
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:15 AM

Just to knock the dust off this thread, "south Chicago" is waaaay to narrow a range for the handful of us spread across Chicago, Chicagoland, and northern IL, NW Indiana, southern Wisconsin (although I know how territorial you south-siders can be!). We should try to get a Chicago/IL chapter going. Or at least a simple meetup. I was hoping to meet some fellow MWA folks at the Lei-Neilson tool even in Chicago last month, but there were no takers. I only posted about it on Google+, so maybe we're suffering from "too many internet places" disease (Google+, WoodTalk Forum, Twitter, etc etc). But we're woodworkers, we should be able to solve this problem.

Thoughts?

--Douglas

#17 jimmykx250

jimmykx250

Journeyman Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:44 AM

Just to knock the dust off this thread, "south Chicago" is waaaay to narrow a range for the handful of us spread across Chicago, Chicagoland, and northern IL, NW Indiana, southern Wisconsin (although I know how territorial you south-siders can be!). We should try to get a Chicago/IL chapter going. Or at least a simple meetup. I was hoping to meet some fellow MWA folks at the Lei-Neilson tool even in Chicago last month, but there were no takers. I only posted about it on Google+, so maybe we're suffering from "too many internet places" disease (Google+, WoodTalk Forum, Twitter, etc etc). But we're woodworkers, we should be able to solve this problem.

Thoughts?

--Douglas

Im game for a meet up and i wouldn't mind a reasonable drive to meet some of you guys from the forum. I would like to see this evolve I think it could be a good time.

#18 leann.jean.edwards

leann.jean.edwards
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 08:10 PM

Hello I am a woman wood worker hello

#19 leann.jean.edwards

leann.jean.edwards
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 08:12 PM

Hello any body in Australia

#20 Chef

Chef

Journeyman Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 580 posts
  • LocationCentral ILL

Posted 28 October 2014 - 10:14 PM

I am in Pekin and would like to have a meet up. Who is around me and where are you?