Lumber Sources - Chicago Area

jschen

Trying to find other good wood sources and your favorites in the Chicago area. I've mostly used OWL Lumber over in Lombard. Been to another store in Sycamore but haven't really purchased anything there yet. Any other recommendations?

I have been wanting to check out that mill in Sycamore but havent yet. Not as convient for you sice I see you are in Aurora but I have been going across the border to kettle Moraine in WI, their prices are quite better than where you have been and have offset the gas. I'm in Schaumburg so mostly familar with places on the North side, other places I know of but not visited yet are Urban forest products in Skokie and there is also a place on the North side on Elston Ave around Belmont but I cant remember the name.

I can tell you the OWL in Des Plaines has a much better selection IMO than the Lombard store.

I have been wanting to check out that mill in Sycamore but havent yet. Not as convient for you sice I see you are in Aurora but I have been going across the border to kettle Moraine in WI, their prices are quite better than where you have been and have offset the gas. I'm in Schaumburg so mostly familar with places on the North side, other places I know of but not visited yet are Urban forest products in Skokie and there is also a place on the North side on Elston Ave around Belmont but I cant remember the name.

I can tell you the OWL in Des Plaines has a much better selection IMO than the Lombard store.

I do travel quite a bit in the Midwest,next time I'm through WI I'll have to check that mill out in Moraine. OWL in Lombard seems to have a better selection than the shop in Sycamore. The places here do seem a bit expensive. Been using Menards for S4S red oak and looks like their S3S red oak and hard maple look to be okay for conveniency.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If your traveling in Wisconsin near Green Bay. Check out my friend Bob Kloes he has all kinds of figured hardwoods. A good stand up guy. Give him an e-mail or a call for a price list. He can even ship the wood to your door step using FedEx freight. He is a furniture maker and sells hardwoods he personally selects from various mills he visits around northern Wisconsin and in the UP of Michigan.

-Ace-

• 4 years later...
  • 3 months later...