Finished

Excellent work Dr. Hacker - the book matched center back panel come out really nice, that was a good call. Especially if you were forced to do a glue-up there anyway - not sure if you had to or not.

By looking at your pictures I am making an educated guess, but to me the seat slats, back slats and arms look like you chose cedar - correct? However the front apron, side legs and front legs look like they maybe out of something else. What was your wood species choice for this?

It really came out nice and your results are only inspiring me that much more!!! I am looking forward to digging into this build this coming weekend (took Friday off to go buy my lumber and take advantage of the long holiday weekend).

Wow Dr. H...nice job. I certainly like the booked matched back...adds a really cool feature. It's nice to see the final piece made, and also to see what the epiphane looks like. I'm not really big on the high gloss, but it looks like it will be protected well. I absolutely love all the G&G features on this chair and seeing it in the finished project (as apposed to the PDF plans) really hones in on those cool features. I feel so far behind now, but I'll just keep on keepin' on!!! Really nice job, I love the book matched back and since I haven't gotten there yet, I may have to use your idea. Nice!!!

You are my new hero, sir! The chair looks great and to my knowledge you have the "first ever built" of this design. Kudos to you for forging ahead. I know as much about the design as anybody (thanks to the SketchUp work) and I am STILL too chicken to get ahead of the game.

The bookmatched back looks fantastic - what a great solution. When you have final pictures with the arm brackets, be sure to post them.

thanks Aaron, i know you worked hard on the plans, they were great to follow. The detail pieces are drying i just need to install them. Ill tell you what we need next is a matching foot stool. I spent some time working on one but can't capture the GG essence. We should have mark add it on as an accessory.

• 1 month later...

So I started and finished my second chair ( still need to make her ebony plugs). It’s made from tiger maple from bell products. the differences are its an inch shorter, inch or so narrower, slightly more lounginess, the side slats are 1/2 inch narrower, the arms are narrower from the outside in, and i added a tipple curve to the back slat and arm, the front posts are sized to the plans (mine was over sized).

All in all its a more feminine looking chair with a 3/8 round over as apposed to mine which is 1/8.

It’s been fun!

post-722-0-54339400-1312980524_thumb.jpg

post-722-0-71955200-1312980544_thumb.jpg

post-722-0-40622600-1312980567_thumb.jpg

Whew - that takes some of the stress off Marc. Since shop time has been so scarce for me lately I was concerned if I could get mine finished before the end of August (that was when I was thinking this woudl be the cut off date). Hey if you build two chairs do you get two entries (just kidding - I know the answer to this is likely no).

LOVE the center bookmatched back splat! It's interested how different a little tweak in design affect the overall feel of the design! Very nice job. Is it the photograph, or did one of the back splats end up a little higher than the others? Sorry, OCD. I'm horrible. I even reorient the toilet paper if it feeds the "wrong" way when I'm at someone else's house. I need serious help. :oD

Its the photo. youll see actually a bugging detail of this project was attaching the slats to the chair. Getting a horizontile screw through a squared mortis plug into the back brace and not sqewing is harder than you think. Also all in all the back slats were a litttle thin to do this unless its perfect.

I am so glad people like the chairs.

Now if i could only get someone to buy them to pay for all the tools!