crosscut sled

Norty

medite is pretty much the same as MDF actually some will argue a touch better I tend to agree it is slightly better so if I had some laying around and needed a sled I wouldn't think twice about using it as long as it doesn't get wet it should last you years and years.

• 7 months later...

I've used DRY 2x material for the non-critical "front" fence. I glue up the critical fence from leftover stile and rail stock and 1 1/2 to 2" wide rip drops, with varied grain orientation. Once it's really dry, I joint the inside face flat, and joint the critical 90 degree corner.

My favorite runner material is 1/4" baltic birch ply. I edge plane a stack to custom fit MY runner slots. The end grain of the ply is extremely hard and long-lasting (try hand planing birch end grain and see... :D), and it holds wax. In use, the material burnishes to a rock-hard, stable runner that lasts ages, even in pro shops and schools, and stays stable through all four New England seasons.

If you look at your runner slots on the saw, you'll see why your runners don't need to be the full depth of the slot. There is nothing touching the runner below ~ 1/4", or so...