Outdoor Finish - Epifanes

rihacker

So for my chairs...yes my wife liked the first one so much I had to make a second.

The first one has photos on the thread below. At marks suggestion I used Epifanes on the African mahogany of my chair. So at first I was um..ok but WOW over the past month I had it near a window the chair is oxidizing a bit under the coating and its taken a life onto its own.

On the mahogany chair I applied the Epifanes to the bare wood. Diluted it as the directions said and sanded between coats. If you have a lot of chatoyance or deep colorful lines like the backs and arms have on mine its perfect. As it cures the Epifanes makes a glass like surface thats high gloss and fantastic ( there is a matt).

When sitting in the chair the Epifanes isn’t sticky or uncomfortable on the arms.

For the second chair i used tiger maple. I sealed it with .75 cut shellac with Light brown dye to pop the grain x2 coats. Soft sand then 2 coats of 1.5 cut shellac with a dark mahogany dye for visual contrast. Epifanes was then applied, 4 coats and learning from the first chair i just did a 50% dilution 4 coats. There is a beautifully thick mirror like gloss with the grain that pops out ( with i used more figured wood). Ill post photos of the tiger soon.

That’s my experience so far.

Thanks Mark for the great project (Aaron too)