Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AprilHoffmann

Sealing a reed fence - what do I use?

3 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I'm not a woodworking expert or even a beginner, but I found this forum when trying to find an answer to my question.

We installed a reed fence (thin bamboo type) and we need to waterproof or water seal it, but I have no idea what product to use. We have a lot of square footage to cover, so we need something very cost effective.

The fence will get lightly sprayed with our sprinklers 3x a week, so we definitely need something to protect it from water.

So far I've found Minwax Helmsman Gloss indoor/outdoor spar urethane. Would this be a good option? How would we apply it? We don't own a sprayer.

Would regular wood sealant be better?

As you can see, we are pretty clueless. Any advice would be very much appreciated. We're not concerned with the beauty of it, we simply want it to last as long as possible!

Here's a link to the type of fencing we used: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100661555/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Thank you!

My suggestion would be......

waterseal-clear-multi-surface-waterproofer.jpg

You could use a cheap 1 gallon garden pump weed sprayer to apply it, then back-brush it in. ;)

-Ace-

I like this product which is a deck oil - decks require a product that really performs.

http://www.freeworldenvirotech.com/residential_user/product/8/19

Like Ace said a cheap garden/deck sprayer would work. If you have more time than money you can apply this with a rag, although you should wear gloves.

You should ponder if you want UV protection or not, water based clean up and how often you have to reapply any product you choose.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Topics

• Bell Forest customer service
      Hey everyone! We're happy to hear that the blanks were replaced and the new pieces met your expectations. All of our handpicked boards get listed with an individual note if any defects are present, but we aren't able to do that with our stock items. Occasionally pieces move/twist/cup and may not be usable. If you ever get into a spot where the lumber/blank wasn't what you were expecting, please do not hesitate to get in touch with us!  Take care, BFP
    • Hijack!
      Years ago at Montreal Drum Fest, Mike Portnoy did a tribute to Zeppelin and I was actually surprised how well he did. I closed my eyes and it really felt like Bonham. I agree about him being more like a machine (like Neil) but being in that venue, that day, im telling you he harnessed the spirit of John Bonham. It gave me the chills. Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
    • Island Countertop - Looking for feedback
      if you are using reclaimed wood (as shown in the picture), it can be a bit of an art to get reclaimed boards "flat enough" to look right, but not ruin the character of the lumber. The important thing is to get the edge joints clean for the glue up get the top as close to flat as you can with as little material removed as possible. I personally would do it without biscuits or dominoes, but its six one way and half dozen the other way
    • Best "shape" for dedicated shop building?
      This is a good example of why the "do what's best for you" is important ... this is just not something I can see myself doing very often. Just curious what you were building that required 15 8' boards? Apart from lumber storage I've never used 8' boards. So far I've only built one project that needed a board longer than 6', and that was a bed (and only 6 long boards for that) - for most of my projects 4' boards are long enough. So if *I* were setting up *my* dream shop I'd make sure that handling 4-5' boards was a breeze, but as long as 8' boards were possible I'd be happy to accept "annoying" for the rare project that needs an 8' board. Clearly for your workflow that would be different.
    • Hijack!
      Feel has more to do with a song being successful than any other single factor. Absolutely agree with you on that. Not to toot my own horn, BUT, take a song like Politician... The notes are dead simple, but the feel is what drives the song. The same goes for The Rover (Zep). No feeling, and the song dies. Part of that is why I truly love jazz so much. So much feeling, and room for expression. Listen to this... It's not a terribly complicated guitar "riff".. but, wow, so clean and has lots of feel. Clean = no room to hide. Each note speaks for itself.   
  • Popular Contributors

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room