Tiny Shop conversation

Jesse

Hi All,

I'd like to get a convo going about how to deal with/survive in/prosper with a small shop space. This thread can be used to brag share some good ideas about how we've overcome working with limited space.

I'll post some pics of my setup later tonight to help get this started :)

Hi Jesse,

I have a tiny shed, 8ft x 8ft, The key to making it work is to be organised, have a place for everything and everything in its place. When I'm working I can stand in one place and put my hand on everything I need. For a bench I use one of those folding work-bench things so I have a massive vice, ie the whole thing. I've mad a router table that drops onto this and locks in the vice, another piece of chip-board with two blocks screwed underneath is locked into place to make a build-up / sketch area.

If I'm cutting longer lengths of timber they have to hang out the door. There are people who have bigger, a lot bigger, but there are some guys out there who work from a tool box on the patio. I've got more pics and a bigger write-up on this Lumberjocks thingy.

Cheers,

Workshop.jpg

Hi All,

I just joined the WW site tonight and ran across this posting. I am in the very early stages of setting up a workshop in my small garage stall, which is in an open, shared apartment complex garage. It's roughly 9ft wide by about 14ft long usable space. It has an old school main door that swings up (this place was built in the 40s), and I have stationed my table saw right at the entry, which outfeeds onto my work bench. This gives me a small path to walk around the table saw and bench to access everything else. I can store some wood up above the storage loft that I built. It's tight in there, but I think it will work for what I will be doing in the near future. My biggest concerns now are dust and noise, not only in a health sort of way, but because I am working in close proximity to my apartment neighbors and their personal belongings. It's an exciting start though, as modest as it is.

Cobwobbler - I love the workshop! That's an impressive use of space.

Cheers,

Matt

Awesome shops! Sorry I haven't yet posted mine :P Many hours spent working in the shop cuts back on hours spent documenting it!

@Cobby - great use of space! I thought I had a small shop, but you've definitely got me beat! I'm working on that organization thing...

@Matt - looking good! You can pick up a roll of sheet plastic for $20-$30 and erect a dust barrier to protect your neighbor's property. I hear that the acidity of wood dust can be bad for metal when it mixes with certain lubricants (think bike chain), and that stuff gets everywhere!

Okay folks, here's what I'm dealing with. My wife and I rent my father's house. Fortunately, he doesn't live here :D Unfortunately, his stuff does :..(

The garage shop started out pretty full of stuff with no rhyme nor reason. This meant lots of cold days in the driveway:

post-4932-0-84434100-1313457749_thumb.jp

We built a couple sheds for the lawn mower, bikes, and garden tools to make some more room in the garage. Now I've got the North half and Dad has the South half:

post-4932-0-79811200-1313457716_thumb.jp

There were a lot of extra stuff in the garage that weren't storing itself efficiently:

post-4932-0-57113900-1313461224_thumb.jp

So I gutted the place and only put back what I wanted to use (on my half anyway)

I put some wheels on this bench

post-4932-0-53922500-1313461835_thumb.jp

And I put some stuff on it. There's a 9" lathe mounted to the benchtop, a slow speed 8" grinder with wolverine jig, a 9" bandsaw (I have a grudge against this particular machine), and currently a 12" drill press not in this picture. I can roll the bench around the shop to get at the various things mounted to different parts of it.

post-4932-0-36445400-1313461516_thumb.jp

And then I brought in some more stuff:

post-4932-0-30959100-1313461935_thumb.jp

post-4932-0-73538700-1313461991_thumb.jp

And then some more stuff again:

post-4932-0-99217100-1313462143_thumb.jp

This is pretty much how the space looks now. In that pic you can kinda see my combination table saw/router table/workbench. It works pretty ok. Also it looks like my drill is about to fall off the table. More on the combo table in a bit.

I also built a hinged sheet good rack inspired by the one in the TWW video, except I situated mine tallwise to save on floor space:

post-4932-0-83088700-1313463082_thumb.jp

post-4932-0-96833400-1313463095_thumb.jp

In order to clear the rafters, I had to build it out away from the wall about 15". This left a nice space for a lumber rack behind it!

And them be some of my works. The whole space is about 6x18, with a little extra room on the one side for getting around the combo table, so probably around 120sqft. Cobbywobby definitely takes the prize so far for tight shop space!

So far as getting stuff built in it, it's been working out just ok. I can open up the front door, place a couple infeed/outfeed rollers, and mill trim pieces 13' long (weather permitting). I can mill 8' sections of trim without opening the doors at all.

I'm just now finishing a built in corner cabinet with crazy shaped shelves:

post-4932-0-64117600-1313467117_thumb.jp

post-4932-0-29229200-1313467128_thumb.jp

I've also gotten pretty good at the making a mess part, but we'll just have to wait and see about the sanity part...

• 6 months later...

Hey yall,

I haven't logged in here in a bit, but thought that I'd post a couple new shop updates. I've kinda cheated on my tiny garage shop by adding more work space in the basement (I've carved out about a 11'x8' corner and outfitted it tolerably, so I've effectively doubled my shop space!).

The garage space is now for turning, milling and dimensioning only. The basement is hand tool work, assembly, and finishing. With good project planning, everything works out fine. It does get kinda hairy sometimes though if I'm improvising a design change and need to run back and forth from one to the other to custom fit something. But hey, I need the exercise ;)

Here are a few pics of the improved space:

IMG_5318.jpg

Big benchtop (this is so awesome compared to the 2'x4' table and bare sawhorses I was using before!):

IMG_5207.jpg

I added a rolling A-Frame clamp rack (and soon to build another!):

IMG_5308.jpg

And, of course, tools, tools, tools are packed into all the shelving, under the bench, up in the ceiling...

IMG_5309.jpg

So, tiny shop lessons gleaned:

1. Split your shop into two small spaces if you have them - one for messy, noisy power tool operations, and one for hand tool work, assembly and finishing.

2. Put even more things on wheels! i know this has been mentioned a lot, but sometimes there are even more things you can put on wheels that you don't even realize.

3. Bigger benchtops equals more storage space below, more room to set your tools down next to your workpiece without getting cluttered, and less need for additional benches. My current bench is 44"x80", the biggest I could fit while still having room to move around it. I would definitely have gone bigger if I could have.

4. Make sure you know what size piece you can get in and out of your shop! I recently made a set of shelves 54"tall x 42"wide x 28"deep (real deep! - for storing yoga mats and props). I definitely measured the basement steps to be sure it would go up, but still had to take the side door off the hinges just to get it out of the house!

I've also drawn up a new lumber rack design that will save even more room in the garage while offering more storage than my current setup. I'll post that once it's done.

Thanks yall!

• 5 months later...

Is this like, “I can name that tune in x notes?” For top bragging rights, can we develop some metrics?

How about:

(bf processed / year) / shop sq ft – recognizes that its’ harder to process lumber in a small shop;

Or on the lighter side…

(value of tools snuck in behind spouse's back / year) / shop sq ft – recognizes that it’s harder to hide new tools in a smaller shop

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Nothing too current, but what I have is available on my blog through various projects.

I'll make an effort to clean up this week though. Every project brings a monumental cleaning task.

Which is the real downfall of a small shop.

How small does a shop have to be to qualify for this thread?

My shop is pretty small. It's in the bedroom of my apartment, which is actually fairly large. We use some bookshelves to divide the sleeping area from the area that is shared between my shop and my wives sewing room. So my shop space is about 5x7 although I use floor space and my wife's sewing table for assemblies or just a place to put stuff while I'm working.

As you can see it's not really setup yet. I'm planning to build a real base for my bench and a tool cabinet on the wall for all my hand tools. I have lumber storage on the right and keep misc stuff like finishes and fasteners in the shelves on the left.

Obviously I'm only doing hand tool work. So far it's working good for small projects, although my current project is a 4'x2' shelf which is a little cumbersome. I'm also looking forward to doing some hand milling but I'm a little worried about havering enough space to work with long boards (my bench is only 4' long, although I plan to eventually make a new one that is about 5.5 feet).

post-14467-0-81843800-1383097334_thumb.j

post-14467-0-57295300-1383098336_thumb.j

post-14467-0-48176300-1383098355_thumb.j

post-14467-0-97393300-1383098373_thumb.j

• Like 1