Tiny Shop conversation

Jesse

Cochese, do you have photos of your flip top cart/table?  I'm in desperate need of inspiration, and the flip top is the only thing that really fits my shop.  (I'm thinking of leaving the other side empty for a work surface, but I still need inspiration.)

I'll do you one better and show you the vid of my inspiration. I think he's a member either here or on FOG. I never finished my drawer, I suppose that would hold all the things that fall out. Having a flat surface on the other side is going to be problematic with how much planers weigh. You'll either need to counterbalance some how or weigh the base down so that the base doesn't want to shoot out on you when the planer's weight isn't lined up with the base. DAMHIK

• 3 weeks later...

Wood Magazine did a flip-top table as well recently, but they did a longer table designed to hold 3-4 tools on each side.   It seems like such a bear to wrangle around.  I like the little mobile two-tool option much better.   Don't the adjustments get all out of whack on those tools though?  I can't imagine hanging around upside-down being that good for either tool but especially the planer.   I mean if I were among the team designing the thing, I wouldn't be like "well what if the user stores it upside-down...."

I'm still laying out the details of my own tiny shop.   We have a 2.5 car garage that has extra depth all along the back (enough that it probably qualifies as 3-car, but you couldn't physically get the third car there).   There's a third door on the side for access to the space in the extra depth, and so that gives me good ability to do the ole "hang it out of the building" trick for infeed/outfeed.  However it gets hella cold here in Chicagoland so having the garage door open is not my idea of fun. =p   I also need to decide if I can use just the extra space at the back (leaving me with about 9ft wide by 14 ft long plus another 4ft by 6ft space closer to the door leading inside) or if I should leave the second car outside and take up that space plus the right parking spot (giving me like 14ft by 30ft plus the same 4ft by 6ft near the door).  The bigger space sounds very much nicer, but digging out a car covered in snow in the morning and driving a near-frozen car to the train doesn't sound like fun (or good for the car).  Decisions decisions...

I'll do you one better and show you the vid of my inspiration. I think he's a member either here or on FOG. I never finished my drawer, I suppose that would hold all the things that fall out. Having a flat surface on the other side is going to be problematic with how much planers weigh. You'll either need to counterbalance some how or weigh the base down so that the base doesn't want to shoot out on you when the planer's weight isn't lined up with the base. DAMHIK

Thanks for the vid.  But that dude is scary.  All of that table saw cutting to square those pieces and he left the blade on the whole time with no guard.  And not a set of safety glasses in sight.  And he video tape it.  Don't try this at home.

The bigger space sounds very much nicer, but digging out a car covered in snow in the morning and driving a near-frozen car to the train doesn't sound like fun (or good for the car).  Decisions decisions...

I've had several car-minded folks tell me it's better to keep the car outside during the winter anyway.  When the cold freezes the water that the engine just heated up, it falls off in chunks, instead of being warmed by the interior of the garage and quickening the pace of rust.  (Of course, this is a two edged argument, because you can state that the car left outdoors collects more snow that the car indoors... but I think they were referring to the slush and gunk kicked up from the road while driving.  I'm ok with the argument, though, if it means I can put the shop in the garage...

I've had several car-minded folks tell me it's better to keep the car outside during the winter anyway.  When the cold freezes the water that the engine just heated up, it falls off in chunks, instead of being warmed by the interior of the garage and quickening the pace of rust.  (Of course, this is a two edged argument, because you can state that the car left outdoors collects more snow that the car indoors... but I think they were referring to the slush and gunk kicked up from the road while driving.  I'm ok with the argument, though, if it means I can put the shop in the garage...

Interesting...never heard that side of it.  My bigger concern was the car starting in bitter cold, but that's an issue anyway since it would sit outside at the train station all day while I'm at work...so I figure if it's got to be capable of starting after sitting outside and making the drive in the evening, it's obviously capable of doing it in the morning too. =p