Good quality screws?

rickoman

I wouldn't expect a brass screw to be equivalent to a steel screw.  Brass is much softer. Unless the wood is soft, I'd pre-drill, then pre-screw with an identical steel screw, and use hand power to drive the brass screw.  10,000 of them would be a chore.

If the wood isn't really hard, I might get away with pre-drilling a generous pilot hole and using a drill-driver instead of an impact driver.  But I'd expect to strip several.

I apologize if I'm stating the obvious.

I wouldn't expect a brass screw to be equivalent to a steel screw.  Brass is much softer. Unless the wood is soft, I'd pre-drill, then pre-screw with an identical steel screw, and use hand power to drive the brass screw.  10,000 of them would be a chore.

If the wood isn't really hard, I might get away with pre-drilling a generous pilot hole and using a drill-driver instead of an impact driver.  But I'd expect to strip several.

I apologize if I'm stating the obvious.

Actually, the screw is going to be in the packaging, so it would be a matter of each buyer needing to set a handful with the product, not me setting 10,000 of them. 

I just want the screw in the packaging to be a good one.  Yes, brass is softer, but some if this stuff is strips as if the screw were made of frozen butter.

Actually, the screw is going to be in the packaging, so it would be a matter of each buyer needing to set a handful with the product, not me setting 10,000 of them. 

I just want the screw in the packaging to be a good one.  Yes, brass is softer, but some if this stuff is strips as if the screw were made of frozen butter.

Just a thought - not sure what your product is, but if you're sending brass screws with it and letting the user deal with them, I can almost guarantee you'll be getting complaints because 99% of people don't know how to use brass screws, will screw (pun intended) it up, and then complain to you that you gave them a shoddy product.  

After spending the day on this, I have 2 conclusions:

Basically all the brass on the planet comes from Asia now, and making them in the US won't really change anything on that front.

Making them here will provide for a nicer finish, detailing, and those sorts of possibilities, but otherwise there is not much to gain.

Rather frustrating, but that's globalization.

Did you actually call Goulet?  Their page says "any size from 0 to ⅜ and metrics from M2 through M10..." This page is actually the quote form for #2 bronze:  http://www.oemfasteners.net/2sbctwsf.html

I did, at length actually.  I am waiting for a price quote.  I didn't specifically ask where their brass comes from, but from other suppliers I contacted today, they all said the same thing: brass is from China/Taiwan.