Cutlery canteen

AlanWilley

I was asked to make this for a wedding gift.

zqfinallyfinisheddz3.jpg

zzdfinishedandopenxu4.jpg

It is made out of Oak and was based on a chest of drawers. I reclaimed some old floor boards to make this. At the top is the serving set which is set into a moulded base. this was achieved by routing out some MDF in the shape of the utensils and then flocked along with all of the insides.

wtheyfitvg4.jpg

zhtoptraycompletetn8.jpg

The lid was routed with the logo of the cutlery to add that touch of class.

llogofinishedeb8.jpg

All of the lower drawers have blocks for locating the utensils made again from mdf and flocked.

zmdryfitspoonsyz4.jpg

Each of the drawer fronts were cut in half down the thickness to cut the finger joints and then glued back together so the joints would not show through to the front. A moulding was then cut around the fronts and the edges chamfered to disguise any discrpancies in the drawer reveal. At the top the lid front was made as a false drawer front to give the impression of the chest of drawers. All of the knobs were turned on the lathe and the side handles were made using the router. Customer was over the moon with the results.

• Like 2

No not at all, there was no CNC used. All of the routed sections were done with templates or free hand. Worst part was routing the logo in the lid. The serving tray in the top was done by routing using templates and stepping the cutter deeper and deeper towards the centre and then sanding it all smooth. The logo in the lid was all done freehand and I can tell you I was sweating a bit doing it.

Thanks dcustoms for the kind words. I made the logo the same way I rout signs, by drawing it up on the computer and then prinitng it out and then tracing it on to the wood (well MDF in this case) then routing it by hand with shallow cuts following the lines. I should add I was sat down to do this as it took a while.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys. Yes Patrick, it was flocking I used. I had never used this before as my original idea was to line it with green felt which would have been quite a job. someone suggested flocking it so I looked into it and had a practice first on a scrap piece. It was quite easy providing you blew plenty of the flock onto it. The excess was scooped up and used again so it was very economical to use too. I did charge a good fee for this one Dave as there was a lot of work in it.

• 2 years later...