sonos1

Hand Saw Sharpening

6 posts in this topic

:blink: My mother lives for yard sales. Off before the sun rises. Most days I think she unlocks the door for the biscuit cook at Hardees ;) . A few weeks back she brings me yard sale TOOLS :) . In the box of mostly junk i spy a back saw. The medalian on the saw is G.H. Bishop @ Co, Cincinnati, O. Pat. Dec 27, 1887 :D . So now i am faced with the task of sharpening this saw myself or sending it out. I have a couple of small files, a set, and a have managed to sharpen a couple of blades in the past. So i am wondering if i am the only weekend woodworker silly enough to do this or are there others?

Little Egypt

Are you the only weekend warrior who resharpens? Heck no, resharpening is easy-ish. Ok you get a lot better at it by the last tooth I'll admit. Just make sure you match up the proper size/kind file to the # of TPI. Vintage Saws has a lot of good info on their website just a little hard to navigate so does Bad Axe tools and they will sharpen them if you go that route. My current project is retoothing one of my Grandpa's old Disston saws from 8 to 4 TPI. Good luck.

Viall8r

post-621-016347300 1282431975_thumb.jpg

Here's something that will hopefully get you over the hump of wondering if you're going to screw things up by trying to sharpen a saw. Joel Moskowitz from Tools for Working Wood gave a talk to our woodworking club last year, and on the subject of saw sharpening he said,

A poorly sharpened saw will still work better than a dull saw.

I hardly ever use regular western handsaws, but a while back I needed to do a cut that I couldn't accomplish any other way and all I had was an old generic saw I bought years ago from a big-box store and it was dull as could be. I looked at the teeth with a magnifier, and they were just round. I'd never tried sharpening before, but I didn't feel like buying a new one just for a few cuts and I had some small files laying around, so I figured "what the heck?"

I just eyeballed it and filed each tooth until I saw the reflection on the round tip go away. Didn't take too long once I got a rythm going and I was actually quite pleased with the results. Now I wonder what I could achieve with some practice and some decent steel. It was pretty cool being able to say "I did that!"

Are you the only weekend warrior who resharpens? Heck no, resharpening is easy-ish. Ok you get a lot better at it by the last tooth I'll admit. Just make sure you match up the proper size/kind file to the # of TPI. Vintage Saws has a lot of good info on their website just a little hard to navigate so does Bad Axe tools and they will sharpen them if you go that route. My current project is retoothing one of my Grandpa's old Disston saws from 8 to 4 TPI. Good luck.

Viall8r

My wife took the shop camera on a trip but... The saw has been set (following advice to set rip saws at a half setting so 8 not 4) and then joined. Last thing is to resharpen the teeth. Also as a side note, I got new files from LN and the files are thicker like the diffrence between a taper and an extra slim taper from the one I got from tools for working wood. These new files are also Grobert and don't have their style named on them unlike the Nicholsen files I'm accustomed to. The files from LN do appear to be more appropriate sized for this size tooth than the TFWW one, as they could be used on all three corners with a fresh cutting area where as the TFWW one was almost burried in the cut and Dulled quickly cause of it. I'll post pictures of them to better show this when I get my camera back.

Viall8r

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Popular Now

• Topics

• Need advice...
      I agree. He'd have to lower the price a lot more than that before I would consider it and I would run some boards through it to make sure it still works OK.
    • Need advice...
      I'd stay away. Even though it's not a high tech super sensitive machine, all sorts of parts could have gone out of alignment. 
    • Need advice...
      Hey guys. Long time since I posted.  I need some advice. Yesterday I found a Dewalt DW735 planer on Craigslist. I drove 45 minutes to check it out. Everything was great, tested the machine, inspected it. 2 years of about monthly use. Was on the second set of blades. Guy was asking 500 but we settled on 375 for just the planer. When I got there he informed me that the guy who was gonna buy the dewalt stand ($150 new from lowes) had backed out and that he would include the table for an extra $50. I wasn't sure about the table until I saw the functionality and maneuverability it had and to me it was worth the extra 50. Here's where things took a turn. We had just unbolted the planer from the table. I had walked to my car to put the infeed and outfeed tables in and while I had done that, the guy had begun to move the table towards the outside of the garage. The planer slipped off the table and fell off the table!! The adjustment knob broke and two of the plastic caps on the main screw pillars (right term?) broke off. It's necessary to mention that the floor it fell onto was a rubber mat (maybe 1/2" stuff). Needless to say, I ended up walking away. I'm still in communication with the guy. He has told me everything is fine and I only will need to replace the adjustment knob (aprox. $35 before shipping). He is moving this week and wanted to sell it before he moved. Now I am getting a lot of pressure from him to make this deal. He dropped to $400 since the knob is broken and has offered to deliver it to me.  I'm having trouble making a decision so I would greatly appreciate any input or advice. I feel bad that it was dropped while basically making a transaction, but at the same time, I didn't drop it myself. I had not given him money yet but had agreed to buy it which is why we had unbolted it and began to move it. What i'm having a hard time getting past is the new level of risk I am assuming if I buy it. Is there internal components that have a slight micro crack that could become worse over time? This is all whats going through my mind.  Thank you in advance if you are able to offer some advice.  One lesson I learned from this: If what you're selling is heavy, do not move it until the transaction is complete and the new owner takes responsibility for loading and transportation.  -Brett
    • What tools and brands are must haves for a nub?
      For hand tools, pretty much everyone has their particular "must have" list. You'll find a good list in The Anarchists Tool Chest (book by Christopher Schwarz http://lostartpress.com/collections/books/products/the-anarchists-tool-chest).  The book will also help you understand what too look for in each kind of hand tool (for example what makes one chisel better than another). If you're looking to learn to use hand tools, you might look at The Hand Tool School (https://www.handtoolschool.net/).  It doesn't take a large tool set to tackle semester one, and it looks like a good set of lessons and useful projects.
    • What tools and brands are must haves for a nub?
      The book is good but he was looking for tool recommendations, especially hand tool recommendations and all he got was Marc's book and power tools! I think we can do better! For hand tools, I think a Jack Plane (also referred to as a #5), Block plane, one or two backsaws, a couple chisels (1/2" and 1/4"), a cheap sharp point hand saw, combo square, and some sharpening medium. I am sure I am leaving a few things out but these will get you started.  Now if you want brand recommendations, well that's a whole different animal!  
  • Popular Contributors

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room