What material to use on new miter saw station

dsaracini

Hello all,

Just recently bought a new miter saw and have decided to make a little miter saw station and looking at getting a Kreg Top Trak and flip stop etc. I've been looking at some of the photos of people shops and trying to see what they use when making such things. It seems like some kind of high grade plywood is the choice.. maybe it's HDO? Or just cabinet-grade plywood? Most of the pictures are close up enough to tell. I was thinking of just using MDF. it's usually pretty flat and smooth. I guess I could even glue down some melamine on top to make it slicker.

Any thoughts on this topic? Also, if you recommend something that I'm not likely to find at a big box store, please tell me where I could likely purchase it, etc.

Also, if there is something better than the Kreg top trak and flip stop for this kind of stuff, please let me know and I will take a look.

Thanks in advance to all replies.

I used MDO for mine, and it's held up really well over the years. However, if I had had a source for HDO at the time I might have used that instead. HDO is more expensive but it's a much more durable product i believe.

Where is the best place to find MDO and HDO? You can't get it a Lowe's or the Home Depot... and it wasn't at my local lumberyard. Seems like HDO is used for concrete forms a lot, but I'm not sure where they get it. I've "google'ed" it for my area, but don't really seem to come up with a good hit (might just be my search terms).

Where is the best place to find MDO and HDO? You can't get it a Lowe's or the Home Depot... and it wasn't at my local lumberyard. Seems like HDO is used for concrete forms a lot, but I'm not sure where they get it. I've "google'ed" it for my area, but don't really seem to come up with a good hit (might just be my search terms).

I bought the MDO at a local hardwood dealer that also specializes in quality, cabinet-grade plywood. They don't sell HDO but i have heard about how almost indestructible it is. Google "interior plywood dealers" and your zip code and hopefully that will turn up something.

I read your posts and then priced some MDO 3/8,1/2,and 3/4.....wow.....I could buy birch cheaper than that. Birch would paint and stain beautifully. What is my advantage of MDO (signboard) over birch? I know it has exterior glue, but I'm using it for projects in the shop - not in the weather. I know it's flat but what is our application where it would need to be that flat?

I've used both plywood and mdf for the tops of my mitre saw stations. I originally made that flip top station that duckkisser posted. I made the orginal Woodsmith version out of plywood and it held up for years. I have now since 'permanently' located it inline with my RAS and finishing cabinets so I removed the wings. Now on either side of the MS is mdf on the right and the RAS table surface of masonite.