Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Finished 1 of my chairs!

8 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I had a little trouble with the square plugs breaking when inserting and I believe they took me the longest to make. These chairs started at 8/4 cypress with purple heart plugs. I finished with a seal coat of shellac and covered with 2 coats of (50%) thinned epifanes clear.

Thanks for the build Marc - it was very rewarding!

See more of the progress and my cramped garage shop here:

https://picasaweb.go...feat=directlink

post-768-0-47516100-1316440127_thumb.jpg

post-768-0-36542600-1316440357_thumb.jpg

post-768-0-21173800-1316440407_thumb.jpg

Posted · Report post

Congrats Rob! The project chair looks terrific!

Posted · Report post

Rob, I recently joined the Guild, and picked the adirondac chair as my 'archive' project. I had figured to depart from the G&G style a bit, since I want to use cypress. Your chair looks so good in cypress, I may just change my mind!

Posted · Report post

Nice job.  I like the grain orientation on the seat back.  Very balanced and harmonious. 

Posted · Report post

Great job, that's one excellent piece of work!

Posted · Report post

Hope he's still a member as the op was in 2011. If, great job. I like the arm detail!

Posted · Report post

Hope he's still a member as the op was in 2011. If, great job. I like the arm detail!

Probably not as he hasn't been on since March of 2012

Posted · Report post

Took the chair and ran! His loss!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Popular Now

• Topics

• FWW Oct. 2015
      By K COOPER · Posted
      Thanks guys. I just thought it looked unusually neat. Also in the same mag, in the back where it features work done by others, there is a 66" long bench that is pretty cool. I think that will be my next project if I can figure out his leg dimensions. I've already done cutting boards using the laminated design in the seat.
    • Forum Update
      By Mike. · Posted
      Well I have been using this for a couple days now and I have decided the mobile version is basically unusable.  Too many page refreshes to perform simple tasks.   I don't want to sound like a jerk, but that is my honest feedback and Marc, maybe something you can pass along to the vendor.  It is ok with wifi, but on a wireless data connection it is just too slow.   the old version did not have that problem.   The desktop version is much improved and I like it.  My only gripe is the that image gallery ribbon on the top of the page takes up way too much space.  To me this is wasted space.  I'd rather see a full screen of posts and not a bunch of random pictures with no context.  But overall I do like it.      
    • Modern King-Size Oak Bed
      By Arrdenet · Posted
      Finishing has always been daunting to me.  My friends wants me to match it to a piece of furniture they picked up.  Here you can see the oak on top of the furniture they want me to match it to.   The issue is that originally they wanted something substantially lighter - sort of a pickled oak look, which would have been doable.  Now they want me to match this darker color, and I'm not sure if it's even possible - it's not even real wood, it's a laser printed veneer on top of particle board.   My red oak just isn't taking the darker stain like I feel like it should.  Here's the best I've been able to do on a piece of scrap - it's Minwax classic gray over a pre-stain treatment.  Any finishing help from the gurus out there would be super appreciated, because I don't want to bugger up a month's worth of woodworking with a poor finish.   Anyway, thanks for looking at my project thus far!  I'm going to go tinker with stain some more...
      By TIODS · Posted
      Looking pretty cool!
      By Arrdenet · Posted
      The footboard had a single 8/4 board with a half-lap where it met the legs.  That half lap was fun to cut.  I had to use the auxiliary shop (driveway) for its higher ceiling. The footboard went together much like the headboard did, just shorter.  I made the legs on the end from oak so that they would still look good when exposed, an issue the headboard did not present. The footboard went much more quickly.  With the addition of the 8/4 oak board, it's almost as heavy as the headboard!  Here's my first look at the bed!  The light at the end of the tunnel begins to shine! Here's where the bed stands as of today!  It's got just about everything in place except for the finish.  I tested it with an air mattress and it was glorious.  At least, as much as a queen-sized air mattress on king-sized open slats can be.
  • Popular Contributors

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room