Alternative to zebra wood?

bois

I have a potential customer that wants a large zebra wood table top. I found that zebra wood is harder to source and is very expensive which may price this piece out of budget. The client isn't wed to zebra but he wants contrasting straight grain. Does anyone know of a good or decent alternative species that might be easier to get or more reasonably priced?

Bois, I don’t know if my contribution will make things worse for you or better, but for what it’s worth, here is some information. The first quote sounds like you may be glad that zebra wood is too expensive. I embedded the link to the articles in the “Quote #” labels. The second quote talks about woods that are similar to zebra wood and are even sold under that name. Of course, as you can see, it will take a bit of time to search on all those different species names. One thing I have heard, but can’t confirm, is that African Beli wood has a similar look to zebra wood.

The only other thought I had, is an article I read in Fine WoodWorking’s “Finishing Wood” publication. On page 64 they have an article titled “Dyes and Stains Work Better Together”. Basically it’s saying how this combination will maximize popping the wood grain. If you can find a similar grained wood you may be able to increase the contrast of the light and dark areas dramatically as one sees in zebrawood.

Quote #1.

“Be warned that zebrawood may look like an amazing exotic wood BUT it smells like its name sake.. it is the absolute worst wood I have ever planed and smells like your toilet backed up. Aim to plane it just before you leave for the night and leave the window open to clear the "scent" out before you return.. good luck, Karen.”

Quote #2.

“Larry Frye, executive director of the Fine Hardwoods/American Walnut Association, has been researching zebrawood and the various woods that go by the trade names zebrano, all originating from African forests. Frye said that according to his sources. "several trees yield a wood that looks alike and is sold as 'zebrawood.' This is a common practice with tropical species, that started over 100 years ago. The trees are Brachystegia leonensis, Brachystegia eurycoma, Brachystegia nigerica, Brachystegia boehmii and Microberlinia brazzavillensis."

Frye said that in Africa, the trees often had different common names in the different provinces: oakume and achit in Nigeria; meblo in the Ivory Coast; Zebrano in Gabon; Amouk in the Cameroons; and mjombo, mtondo, msasa, mafash, muputu, miombo, mienzi, molo, mtundo, mundu, and lohumbo in Tanganyika and Rhodesia. Frye added that the trees cut from both Brachystecia and Microberlinia are very similar and are both sold under the trade name zebrano, which leads some to speculate that the trees are really the same.”

I agree with everyone that finding something quartersawn is going to be your best bet and that softwoods will probably be easier to get that look with than hardwoods.

Douglas Fir & SYP are the first softwoods that come to mind.

In hardwoods, my first thought was QS Oak, but the ray fleck may be a turn off if the customer is reall looking for a zebrawood-like experience. Might QS Ash work? The butternut you're working with for the tool chest - does that contrast enough when quartersawn? Maybe take a look at QS Chestnut?

I do think the plywood suggestion is interesting, but would be a huge PITA. Maybe LVL, which you could get twice as thick as plywood ;)

Hey Bois, I use zebrawood for small gift boxes and a very small table. Hard to handle that expense when much material is involved.

I have used Bubinga and have appreciated its stabliilty. Wide range of contrast patterns, that seem to hold up even as the wood darkens with time. It is not inexpensive, but much cheaper than zebrawood. Wide boards are available which can be an advantage for tops and casework. I pay much more than $3/bd ft but consider it good value if you are willing to use exotics.

It is heavy and bit hard on tooling. Have never had the courage to use hand planes on surfaces. Have had success using hand planes on edge profiles. Let us know what you and the client decide.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the tips. In the end, it turned out any kind of exotic was going to price this customer out of the market. A 4x4 solid table top with an apron is just a lot of material, and his budget wasn't going to cover it. In the end, he couldn't find any maker that could meet his budget and he decided to go another direction. Unfortunately these days this story seems to be more the norm than the exception. At least this guy was in the ballpark but I was still about 50% over his budget.