Downsizing to shorter TS rails?

Jfitz

Hi -

I'm considering downsizing from the longer rails and extension table (52" cut the right of the blade) to the shorter rails (36") on my table saw. Currently, my table runs lengthwise in my shop (which is 13'x16') - which is good for a. storing things on it, and b. cutting longer items. I also tend to use it as an assembly/work area.

I am thinking about rotating it 90degrees so that instead of the saw running lengthwise, it runs across it - giving me some more space for ripping longer items, and also some more space for an outfeed table.

Has anyone downsized, and if so have you regretted it? Iff you've had the opportunity to have both longer and shorter rails in your shop, can you tell about your experience?

I am definitely leaning towards it, since any cross-cutting I typically need to do on longer pieces could easily be handled via a sled, or a straightedge and circular saw.

I used to have a TS with 52" Beisemeyer fence but was too big for my space. So I did the radical thing and just cut the length down using a cut off blade and a chop/miter saw. I cut it down to about 30" which is a little too small. My current saw is a Sawstop with 36" fence which satisfies 95% of my cutting needs. When I have to cut down large panel products, I use straight edge and circular saw with good blade. If I need precision, I use straight edge and pattern bit in router.

So yes, I downsized and saw (get it - saw..) no issues but keep it at least 36". Of course it depends on the work you are doing. If you do a lot of cabinetry using plywood, the 52" fence would be very handy. Outside of honey do list items which include built-ins, most of my work is on furniture and even glued up panels rarely exceed 36" (come to think of it -- I've never glued up a panel that large...).