Dave's Shop tour

davestanton

Looking good, Dave.

Looks like you have a 1.5-2 hp unit. Have you thought about putting in a pre-baffle to reduce the dust before it hits the impeller/filter?

I am presently fabricating a Thien baffle for my old 1.5 hp collector. Given all the aerodynamics and larger motor/impeller you need for a cyclone system, the Thien baffle was the least intrusive means of collecting dust without dramatically reducing airflow and efficiency.

Below is a link to Phil Thein's homepage and his original design. If you spend time in his forums, you will find that several folks have improved on his design and shared the results.

Food for thought as you begin to push towards the finish line in your grand design. Cheers!

http://www.cgallery.com/jpthien/cy.htm

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I love your big work table (the self built MFT). It's what I'm planning on the corner of my new outfeed/assembly/bending/router table. That portion will be for bending. I might get some Festool clamps, too, now that I think of it.

I have a crawl space. 5/8" exterior that was salvaged from a deconstruction project. As are all my exterior walls. I glued and screwed 3/4" T&G OSB over that, then the 1/4" finished floor.

I went 24" OC, but wish I'd gone 16" OC. I don't have any bounce, but have installed piers and blocking under the jointer. I did the engineering and it was adequate, but I wanted more than adequate.

(null)

Backflip!

I am thinking of canceling the tablesaw for the moment and instead getting the mft3 and a 14" bandsaw. Soon to be followed by an eight inch spiral head jointer and thirteen inch spiral head thickener. I already have the ts55 a heap of festool clamps and tracks....... Any thoughts?

Enjoyed the Triton system install video, Dave. I think this kit has been rebadged in the US market. I agree, the Hitachi impact driver is a nice tool to have around in lieu of a Festool!

I can't really provide good thoughts on your table saw acquisition other than to offer that it is a handy-jack-of-all-trades, particularly if you tune it up for optimal performance. It really depends on what kind of woodworking you want to do and the methodology you wish to employ. I've got three Festool tracks, which are great - particularly for jointing edges on rough lumber, but despite my best efforts to replace it, I keep going back to my TS, particularly for batch work.

If you are going to invest in spiral heads for the jointer/planer, have you considered a combo machine?

Russ had good thoughts on bandsaw size. I would try to get at least 3hp for resaw. Laguna and others offer this in their 14 inch models, but I'd also look at other 16-18" units if you want a larger table size.

Since you are kitting out a "new" shop from the ground up, I would think about what your needs might be over the long haul before you start bringing in the heavy machinery. You can always change out equipment, but why spend extra money getting to the best setup?

Russ, the only work I want the table saw to do that the tracksaw would struggle with is ripping of narrow lengths if the stock is less than 6 inches or so wide. The tablesaw is also limited to its depth of cut. A bandsaw that can cut up to 8 inches deep would seem to me a better option in my case and added to the ripping the fact that I can also use a 1/8th inch fine tooth blade for fine shape following...... I can always get a 21 inch 3 horse at a later date if needed.

Frank, the type of use I have for my workshop is mostly furniture made from panels and small section timber, possibly nothing larger than 5 x 5 inches and maybe 2 x 12 inches.

You guys have to remember that I am in a very fortunate position of being able to purchase these machines at a discount from my employer and if I decide to change or upgrade at a later date I will realise a profit. I am happy to try stuff out for size as I go through this venture and keep what suits and sell what doesn't.

Frank, I have 2 combo machines at work and I am just not sold on them as I do not have a space issue. For people with a limited area I can see them as very attractive. The 8 inch spiral head long bed jointer that I chose looks to be a machine that I could be very comfortable with. Combined with a 13 inch spiral head thicknesser I should be able to cover all dressing applications that I am likely to need.

Regarding what I need, I also have to be aware that I still venture out to work with the tools a little so a degree of portability is a nice asset. This need will decrease as time goes by so an approach of try the cheaper/portable option for some of the gear and heavy/expensive machines that stay in the workshop seems sensible. I have the ability to make some nice shop furniture such as more mft style benches that can work in with the mft3 and its hardware.