Dave's Shop tour

davestanton

Dave, having a 14" Rikon, that has good resaw capacity (12"), I would still recommend going bigger. The small table size is limiting and with your tooling direction, you will probably want that extra bit of table. Personally, I could do without the tablesaw, but that isn't to say I don't love mine as it is set up.

(null)

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a short clip to give a better idea of my thoughts at this stage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFfO-uwMMS4&feature=plcp

I very much like your table and thoughts on track saw setup, Dave. I have been fiddling around with a smaller version (76/152cm) as a power tool bench and am focused right now on how best to square the track and wood for repeat cuts and routing operations. You have inspired me to take another crack at it, though I am deeply envious of your bench size!!

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone. I have been very busy in the retail sector which has been both great fun and also very educational. I have kept my ears open and absorbing a heap of knowledge from both young and old in regard to joinery and workshop design. Festool Australia has taken me under their wing and invited me to various events to assist in manning booths with their own rep. This is of course able to be done due to the people at Carbatec where I work asking me to be their ambassador at these events. Everyone is a winner.

Regarding my workshop, things have stalled until it becomes warmer and I can afford to buy some more toys. Unfortunately my wife's 23 year old car decided to die, so finances were diverted to buying a new vehicle. I am thinking this could be a perfect opportunity to actually buy some plywood and make a few items for the shop and also for my home. Feels a bit strange not just buying toys!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I am doing a little catch up posting as you may see, lol. This video shows my current shop vac solution. Some of you may remember that I was experimenting with a dry cyclone and then a wet cyclone. It worked brilliantly but the maintenance was too much trouble, emptying the wet cyclone container and drying it was too much trouble. Mold would end up being an issue. I have since followed onedia's advise and fitted 2 of their small cyclones as prefilters to my shop vac. I am impressed because I have around 12 metres of 2 inch hose connected to the unit and the draw is plenty good enough for my sanders, tracksaw, router and also for vacuuming the shop floor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYtLE27PPLQ

I am leaning towards getting a jointer mainly for removing twist and also doing some rebating. I was all set to get an 8 inch with spiral head. I am now thinking a 6 inch longbed with 3 standard 18% tungsten blades would be all I need. It may be used once a month. I have no neighbours in earshot. I do not resaw timber. If on the odd occasion I did try to clean up a few feet of sawn material I guess I could pass in 2 directions and then run through my 13 inch spiral head thicknesser.

Any thoughts?

http://www.carbatec.com.au/carba-tec-6-long-bed-jointer_c2360