vintage unisaw splitter/riving knife

Charliedog

So I just puschased a 1950 unisaw and it did not come with any of the gaurds. I am would like to install some type of knife or splitter but don't know where to go. I tried goggle and that was a bust so any info would be great. Funny thing is I asked the guy if he had the gaurds and he laughed and said "there a good way to lose a finger" holding up a hand minus the pinky. I however disagree and would like to find some type of retro fit. The blade gaurd is not so important because I will be using overhead with dust collection. I have seen the Shark Guard and the Bork but it is unclear if they fit the older unisaws.

Thanks any info would be appreciated; C-dog

Micro-jig is a good after market splitter, and allows for non-through cuts. It is pretty inexpensive too. Make sure you match the kerf of your blade to the splitter thickness. Woodcraft was also willing to order a Biesemeyer splitter with anti-kickback pawls for me (they have a kit for each saw), though those are limited to through cuts, and cost much more than the micro-jig ($120+ vs $30 if I recall).

Riving knives are often difficult to retrofit onto saws, as the blade moves independently.

I too bought my saw used, and do not have a guard, so I don't have any recommendations for that.

Funny thing is I asked the guy if he had the gaurds and he laughed and said "there a good way to lose a finger" holding up a hand minus the pinky.

Thanks any info would be appreciated; C-dog

The guy was right. Back then the guards and splitters were such junk that they were more dangerous to use than to take off. I think they just put them there for the lawyers and knew darn good and well they were going into the trash the day the saw was delivered.

Don

• 9 months later...

This is what I have on mine. http://www.amazon.co...t/dp/B000022613 I tried the BORK. Although, I really like the idea, it wasn't ideal for my saw. I liked dealing with Bob so much, I did not ask for money back because I think it's a big step in the right direction and he's put a lot of thought into the product. I would call him. If it does work for you, it's a better solution than what I settled on. However, the Biesemeyer splitter is great! Once installed, it is very easily removed and put back on, which means I use it.

Bob Ross is super to deal with....pretty neat guy IMO. FWIW, he's been updating the BORK pretty steadily since I installed mine, so it's got some improvements that might not have pertained to previous models. He's also added a blade guard for it.

Here's the latest iteration that I've seen a pic of. Bob could tell you whether or not it's the current version, or what's changed:

2012-06-25182716.jpg

I use the Micro- jig Pro splitter on my 30+ year old UniSaw. Works wonders especially when ripping. There are 2 splitter pieces and if there is a lot of tension in the board being ripped the one in the rear comes loose and stays pinched in the board, thus keeping the kerf open. The front one stays right behind the blade, plus there are different ways to set up the splitters to hold the board towards the fence.