Trunnion Question

jtooley75

The cabinet mounted trunnions that you find in a heavier duty TS are better for a couple of reasons. One, they are usually heavier, which helps the saw keep vibration down. They are also easier to adjust. They stay mounted to the cabinet, and you move the table around the trunnions. Well, in theory it is easier. I think SawStop has the best system for adjusting the table and trunnion. Mine took me a long time to do. But those are just a couple of reasons. Someone might have more.

In addition to being considerably more robust (in most cases), cabinet mounted trunnions are easier to align, often resulting in closer alignment.

Here's a look under the hood of a Grizzly G1023SL, G0690, ...fairly typical industrial cabinet saw design, and even a glimpse of the cabinet mounted trunnions used on hybrids like the former Ridgid R4511, and current Craftsman 22116:

g1023sl_trunnion.jpg

Slide1-3.jpg

r4511topview.jpg

Here's a look at the guts of the former G0478 hybrid, Delta contractor saw, and Ridgid TS3650, also fairly typical designs for table mounted trunnions:

g0478_trunnions.jpg

Ridgid_UnderTheHood_Big.jpgunderside.jpg

The lifetime agreement from Ridgid is attractive and I have some tools that are in that program. On the other, I wouldn't make it a deal breaker where a table saw is concerned. About the only wear and tear item that would really come into play down the road would be the belts or motor. Unless you have a really friendly service center that might bend the rules for you, hauling your entire saw into the service center to get a replacement belt just isn't worth it as under the terms of the service agreement you must bring the tool into the service center for any work.