A "modern" TV Stand

croessler

Recently one of my nieces moved into her very first apartment. Not having much of anything and being a college student I asked what she needed; this was the result.

A modern style stand for a flat panel TV. Constructed from one sheet of 3/4 cheap Birch plywood using Dominoes. The only metal used was Kreg screws for the pocket holes in the corner blocks and a 1/8 birch ply back to enclose the two rectangular sections. It took 15 minutes to design it and two days to build it. Also, while I could have turned the feet myself I chose to purchase pre-turned feet to expedite the process they screw into tee-nuts in the bottom.I did band the visible edge; just not the back side of the stand. There were some lessons learned there as well. Edge banding curves requires a lot more patience, especially the concave curves on the sides.

It turns out she wanted it to be darker brown with a nice finish. The base coat (Brown Color) was General Finishes Milk Paint (2 coats) with the top coat being General Finishes High Performance Water Based Polyurethane. The milk paint was brushed on and the Poly was sprayed (4 Coats); which was a first for me as I have never used HVLP before this project.

By the way, I’ll gladly share the SketchUp file with anyone that would like to have it.

post-5584-0-79739500-1319825363_thumb.jp

post-5584-0-81655800-1319825407_thumb.jp

post-5584-0-34559500-1319825415_thumb.jp

• 5 months later...

I really like the form. I'm a fan of curves. I would prefer the shelving not to be evenly spaced. I think it would look more elegant if the space between the top shelf was slightly less than that of the bottom. I realize it is for a coed, but I'm not a fan of painting furniture. This would be really cool in a well chosen veneer. Overall a really nice design.