Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
builderbob

Waterlox vs Poly

3 posts in this topic

A fellow woodworker uses Waterlox all the time for his projects. He claims it is a tung oil/polyurethane varnish and gives superior results. Any experiences or comments about it's use v.s. straight polyurethane or other finishes?

A fellow woodworker uses Waterlox all the time for his projects. He claims it is a tung oil/polyurethane varnish and gives superior results. Any experiences or comments about it's use v.s. straight polyurethane or other finishes?

Hey Bob. Waterlox, like many finishing companies, makes it very difficult to determine what is actually in the can. Its been a while since I dove into their MSDS's and product literature. After about 5 minutes the picture is clear as mud. :) So the best I can discern is that both Waterlox (green can) and Waterlox Sealer (red can) contain varying levels of resins and oils. What resins? How much resin? How much oil? These are the things I can't seem to find the answer to and they can significantly impact how you actually use the product. But I digress.

The primary difference between Walterlox and poly is the presence of raw oil in the mix. The other possible difference could be that Waterlox contains something other than urethane resins. This resin mix could make a difference in the final appearance of the finish. For instance, I am a big fan of Arm-R-Seal, although its not all that different chemically from Minwax poly. But I just like the final look of the film left by Arm-R-Seal. Could just be my imagination but I think the resin mix in Arm-R-Seal is what makes it worth paying more for. Waterlox could very well be the same way in terms of using higher quality materials in their products. At their prices, they sure better. :)

Generally speaking, oil/varnish blends take longer to dry and ultimately are not as durable as a full-strength poly. If you apply several coats, it can certainly be a very durable finish. But not as durable as an equivalent number of coats of full strength poly. So I wouldn't say its superior in terms of protection. Is it superior in terms of appearance? I would say so, but that's probably a matter of opinion. And if you want to make your own "waterlox", just mix in some oil and a little mineral spirits. Might be fun to put your friend to a little test, finishing two boards with a homemade oil/varnish blend and a little waterlox. See if he can tell the difference. ;)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Popular Now

• Topics

• Eight side a blank with a hand plane.  Then, sixteen side it.  Then, start sanding...
    • I had to look that one up. You are old, Henry Fonda!
    • Been working this weekend on this some more. I'm really enjoying working with this cherry. After it came out of the planer it was so buttery smooth i wanted to just hit it with finish and be done. There are always struggles with working in a small shop for me it's 12 foot boards. I couldn't get the width i needed in 8 footers for the panels so i bought 12s. Once i got them cut to length it was as easy as resawing and planing. My resaw king cut through this wood like butter. I was happy with the results as well it took me one half of a turn on my DW735 to remove all the planer marks or less then 1/32nd of removal. For my hack skill level that's pretty good. I cut stopped groves in the rails and stiles except i forgot to stop. I was planning on joining the rails and stiles together with shop made 8mm dominos with the joiner on it's widest setting for some extra strength. So i dug out some scrap from another project and filled the groves with some oak. The only time you'll ever be able to see the patch is with either the top removed or if you flip it upside down. I'm using space balls to keep the panels in place. Beings that it's summer i shot to squish down each side by 1/8th of an inch. Here it is all clamped up. I ran about 3 dry fits to make sure i had everything down. I figured out in the dry fit that space balls don't squish down as much as i was hoping so i reduced the width of my panel and each space ball is getting compressed by 1/16th. I hope that's enough but i couldn't really clamp it together with much more then that. Not to rinse and repeat for 5 more panels.  
    • They look like Pheil "Swiss Made" carving tools but on closer inspection they appear to be made by Stubai of Austria.
    • Set it up outdoors and go at it. It's like shellac in that you want to lay it down and move on. Don't muck about too much. Try to put the sealer just where you want it. I use some stuff called Seam Grip or Sil Net. Some brands tell you to wipe the seams with alcohol just prior to application which supposedly allows the sealer to get down into the weave of the nylon and helps adhesion. I try not to make the bead too thin because it seems that over time the thinnest stuff starts to lift off first. Follow manufacturer's instructions on which surface to seal (inside, outside, or both).
  • Popular Contributors

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room