Making Hollowing Tools

BigBen

I recently took up wood turning as the next step in my wood working addiction, turning has been extremely fun but costly. As I have been turning every log I could get my hand on, I have had a real hard time doing small vases and hollow forms. I have looked into buy some hollow form tools but dont have the funds the buy what I would like, Robert Sorby SOV-22S-ULTM Medium Ultima Hollowing System

So I have decided to make my own, I have no experience doing so. This will be a learning experience for me. My goal is to make full set of hollowing tools for under $100. After searching google, youtube, LJs and http://thewoodwhisperer.com this is what I have come up with.

Set will consist of three chisels:

Straight, 22 degree bend, 45 degree bend.

Option 1:

Cut 5/8" Cold Rolled Steel to 12" long, drill 3/16" hole 1.5" deep in the head of the of rod. Drill, tap and die holes for set screws into rod and insert 3/16" HSS cutter. The rods will be bent at the 2” mark.

3/16" HSS cutter

5/8" Cold Rolled Steel

Set screw

Need to determine size, suggestions?

Concern with this method:

Can I bend the rod using propane torch?

Option 2:

Cut 3/8" Square Rod 12" long. Grind recess on end 3/16” deep by 3/8” wide. Drill, tap and die hole for set screw. I would like to make 3, one straight, 22 degree bend and 45 degree bend. This replicates what Eddie Castelin has done (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asbxBgGOhas&feature=feedf) but with a bend.

I am not sure what size hole I will need to secure cutter to rod.

Can I bend the rod using propane torch?

Carbide Cutter

3/8" Square Rod

Questions, comment and donations are appreciated.

• Like 1

Ben,

Watch this vid by Capt Eddie, he fills in some of the missing info for the other vid.

http://www.bayouwoodturner.org/ez-tool-you-tube.html

If you are bending 5/8" cold rolled, one torch may not provide enough heat. You may need to use 2 torches to get it hot enough. Or consider using Mapp gas instead. It gets much hotter than propane. I've given up on propane, and only use Mapp now. If you have a propane torch now, consider just adding a Mapp torch to your toolset. Using both, you will get the job done.

Roger

Roger,

I dont have a torch, so getting Mapp gas would make sense rather than upgrading later. I really dont want to buy torch twice and wish I could find a way that would concretely allow me to bend the rod.

Capt Eddie gives the size for the threaded hole for the square cutter, the round cutter not the same size.

In researching making my own hollowing tools I have come into one main problem. I am a wood worker and don’t have metal working tools (and no intention to). I have received a good amount feedback concerning the amount of heat I will need to get the rod in a malleable state. This is one my concerns, the other is drilling into the end of the rod.

Today I went by several machine shops to see what the cost for bending and drilling the rods. I would tap the rods myself. None of them provide the service I needed. I then stopped by my neighborhood gas station, spoke with the manager and he agreed to bend 6 robs for me for $20. He did tell me that I needed to provide a jig a(simple 2x set up) to ensure the rods were the shape I wanted. I would grind the ends down and tap for the carbide cutter.

If I go this route, that mean not using the HSS inserts, which I am fine with. It does create the question of what six rods would be a good set. Currently I am thinking :

• 2 - 3/8”
  • 2 - 1/2”
  • 2 – 5/8”

Each pair would consist of 22 and 45 bend at the 2” mark. Thoughts?

Is there a better placement for the bend than the 2” mark?

Yesterday I will to Home Depot and pick up some steel rods to make the chisels. 3/8”, ½” and 5/8”. When I got home I was looking at the 5/8” rod and decided to try just clamping the rod my bench and drilling a hole. I figured the worse that could happen would be that I need to cut off the damage piece and still have enough.

Clamping rod to the bench top, loaded a 7/32” bit into my corded drill. The results were so so. It was painfully slow and I was not getting the depth I wanted. Then it was suggested to me to start with a smaller bit and work way up and to also use my drill press. I regard my drill press as a true POS. But after making a crude jig, it worked with no issue. The only limitation I had was that my drill press was the clearance under the longest bit would only allow for a 12” rod. I don’t this will be prove to be awould only allow for could fit.

IMAG0569.jpg

IMAG0572.jpg

IMAG0570.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have complete most of the chisels and I am very happy with their performance. But definately see some areas where I can improve.

The currently the set contains:

Straight 1/2" rod with round carbide cutter

Straight 1/2"rod with square carbide cutter

Curved 1/2" rod with round carbide cutter

Straight 5/8" rod with HHS insert

Curved 5/8" rod with HHS insert

IMAG0589.jpg

Straight 1/2" rod with round carbide cutter:

This worked well and left a good finish but I prefer to use a gouge for final surface, I will mount this cutter on a 3/8" rod to see how it performs with the extra clearance.

IMAG0593.jpg

Straight 1/2"rod with square carbide cutter:

This work excellent for roughing but in hind sight should have gotten the radius cutter.

IMAG0591.jpg

Curved 1/2" rod with round carbide cutter

I will mount this cutter on a 3/8" rod to see how it performs with the extra clearance.

IMAG0594.jpg

Straight 5/8"and Curved 5/8" rod with HHS insert:

These worked like a champ for removing material but did not leave the surface smooth. Albeit the piecewas punky wood. I also need to get square inserts, I ordered round inserts which I had to grind the top flat and put a fingernail grind on. The grinding of the top I believe increasing the chatter of the tool.

Curved 5/8" rod with HHS insert.

IMAG0592.jpg

IMAG0596.jpg

IMAG0595.jpg

I also got some 1 3/8" aluminum rod, cut it to 18" length, drilled 3/8" and 1/2" holes on the end of one and 5/8" hole on the other.

IMAG0597.jpg

IMAG0598.jpg

I also still have a number of rods for future tools, I am sure that I will be using them. I already know I want a chisel with a more extreme bend to get under the lip of a hollow form.

IMAG0590.jpg

Cost: 146

Steel Rods $30

Bending Rods $20

HSS Inserts $13

Carbide cutters $40

Tap and die set $20

Set Screws $8

Aluminum Rods $15