Suggestions on where to buy quartersawn white oak?

DeanJackson

Dunham Hardwoods out in Iowa has all you need and at reasonable prices. Google and you'll find them. Marty went through the piles and found the one piece I need to make the two curved parts I am short on.

I am close to finishing up making all the parts for two chairs, done to the American Furniture Design pattern. Exact copy of the Stickley bow-arm Morris.

The curved back seat slats are bandsawn from 8/4 material, and you just never know until you saw out the parts and begin to spokeshave them fair and smooth, whether you have cut the parts from stock with internal flaws. See the pics. I had sawn out all ten of the slats and was cleaning them up, and found two that need to be remade.

Speaking of the legs, I had planned to use the lock-miter joint, with each side at 3/4", and each side exhibiting ray-flake. I have the setup and have done lock-miter before for Stickley-style legs. I did it differently this time, and it turned out quite well. Glue up three thicknesses of 3/4", the center one can be anything like poplar, whatever, then rip the stack to a heavy 2" width. Joint or plane down to a perfect and square 2". Your goal now is to face each side with a "veneer" of quartersawn material at a finished thickness of 1/8". I did it by resawing out of 3/4" stock, then planing down to 1/4", gluing on those heavy "veneers," and then cleaning up the overhangs, finishing up by planing down both sides to leave 1/8" on. The legs get a scant 1/8" chamfer on all arrises. See photos.

post-5745-0-54837200-1320368247_thumb.jp

post-5745-0-46238800-1320368259_thumb.jp

post-5745-0-24631700-1320368875_thumb.jp

• 1 month later...

Try calling Boulter Plywood. They are in Maryland I believe. That's where I get most of my lumber and ply; great people and they really know their stuff. They deal with white oak a lot for boat builders, but I don't think it's going to be KD; just air dried (which I personally prefer). www.boulterplywood.com Ask for Chris and he'll take care of ya!

Hope this helps!