Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Suggestions on where to buy quartersawn white oak?

oak online wood

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Dean J

Dean J

Apprentice Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:45 PM

I'm planning on building a Morris Chair. My usual lumber guy has said "spring" for as soon as I'll see quartersawn white oak. :-/

Any suggestions for reliable sources online? Ideally stocking a small amount of 10/4 or 12/4, so I can go with solid legs?

#2 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:58 PM

Dunham Hardwoods out in Iowa has all you need and at reasonable prices. Google and you'll find them. Marty went through the piles and found the one piece I need to make the two curved parts I am short on.

I am close to finishing up making all the parts for two chairs, done to the American Furniture Design pattern. Exact copy of the Stickley bow-arm Morris.

The curved back seat slats are bandsawn from 8/4 material, and you just never know until you saw out the parts and begin to spokeshave them fair and smooth, whether you have cut the parts from stock with internal flaws. See the pics. I had sawn out all ten of the slats and was cleaning them up, and found two that need to be remade.

Speaking of the legs, I had planned to use the lock-miter joint, with each side at 3/4", and each side exhibiting ray-flake. I have the setup and have done lock-miter before for Stickley-style legs. I did it differently this time, and it turned out quite well. Glue up three thicknesses of 3/4", the center one can be anything like poplar, whatever, then rip the stack to a heavy 2" width. Joint or plane down to a perfect and square 2". Your goal now is to face each side with a "veneer" of quartersawn material at a finished thickness of 1/8". I did it by resawing out of 3/4" stock, then planing down to 1/4", gluing on those heavy "veneers," and then cleaning up the overhangs, finishing up by planing down both sides to leave 1/8" on. The legs get a scant 1/8" chamfer on all arrises. See photos.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0012.JPG
  • IMG_0009.JPG
  • Morris chair legs 002.JPG

#3 duckkisser

duckkisser

Master Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts
  • Locationbourbonnais......thats just south of chicago

Posted 04 November 2011 - 04:37 AM

i love quarter sawn white oak. keep us abreast of where you buy your wood if you buy online and they give a good product then i might give them a call.

#4 TripleH (hhh)

TripleH (hhh)

Master Poster

• Mentors
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 06:32 AM

==> 10/4 or 12/4

Tried to source same.

Was told my a very large PA hardwood mill not to waste my time -- you can't get reliable white oak in 12/4 because it won't KD properly. You may end up with case hardened lumber.

#5 Cynthia in BC

Cynthia in BC

Apprentice Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

Posted 11 November 2011 - 07:12 AM

What is case hardened lumber?

#6 KevinB

KevinB

Journeyman Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 11 November 2011 - 07:20 AM

Lumber that is dried too quickly, it shrinks too much on the surface before the inside dries out enough and causes a lot of internal stress, which can warp badly, check badly or honeycomb (tons of checks throughout the inside). Often case hardened lumber ends up being firewood.

#7 TripleH (hhh)

TripleH (hhh)

Master Poster

• Mentors
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 11:25 AM

==> Lumber that is dried too quickly
Exactly -- this will case harden.

Correctly drying woods required maintaining a humidity gradient. You generally remove water during the drying process, but sometimes you add – always maintaining a given gradient – depends on species / thickness, etc. If you don’t do this correctly, you get case hardening – amongst other things.

Some species/thickness combos make it difficult to maintain the correct gradient – like 12/4 oak – not impossible, but difficult. So you may dry the wood ‘correctly’, but yield will be low (or the effort too high to make a profit). There is also much risk is purchasing such wood – unless you can return it.

#8 CessnaPilotBarry

CessnaPilotBarry

Master Poster

• Mentors
  • 1,689 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, CT, USA

Posted 11 November 2011 - 05:04 PM

I'd go with quadralinear legs, just like Stickley.

4/4 to 8/4 QSWO should be on every street corner in PA...

#9 Boatworks Today

Boatworks Today

Journeyman Poster

• Mentors
  • 857 posts
  • Twitter:@BoatworksToday
  • LocationNorthern Wisconsin

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:42 AM

Try calling Boulter Plywood. They are in Maryland I believe. That's where I get most of my lumber and ply; great people and they really know their stuff. They deal with white oak a lot for boat builders, but I don't think it's going to be KD; just air dried (which I personally prefer). www.boulterplywood.com Ask for Chris and he'll take care of ya!

Hope this helps!

#10 CubsFan

CubsFan

Apprentice Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:30 AM

Just curious, but what (if any) plans are you following? I just started work on the one from Wood Magazine a few years back. Fortunately found plenty of QSWO in town.

#11 Bobby Slack

Bobby Slack

Master Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts
  • LocationRedondo Beach, CA // Pitkin, CO

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:28 AM

I don't know where you live. In Los Angeles I have a great relationship with Bohnfoff Lumber
Bohnhoff Lumber
(323) 263-9361
3411 East 26th Street
Los Angeles, CA 90023

#12 sawdustinmyshoes

sawdustinmyshoes

Apprentice Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Pa

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:27 PM

Dean,
I've purchased a lot of qswo from West Penn Hardwoods and have always been very pleased. They currently have a shipping special.
http://www.westpennhardwoods.com/

Joe

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: oak, online wood

Support the forum by shopping with our affiliates!

Shop Woodworking | Rockler Woodworking & Hardware | Amazon.com

bellforest200x200-tww10 Image Map EagleAmericaCPT 200x200 Ad v4pre