Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Suggestions on where to buy quartersawn white oak?

10 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I'm planning on building a Morris Chair. My usual lumber guy has said "spring" for as soon as I'll see quartersawn white oak. :-/

Any suggestions for reliable sources online? Ideally stocking a small amount of 10/4 or 12/4, so I can go with solid legs?

Posted · Report post

Dunham Hardwoods out in Iowa has all you need and at reasonable prices. Google and you'll find them. Marty went through the piles and found the one piece I need to make the two curved parts I am short on.

I am close to finishing up making all the parts for two chairs, done to the American Furniture Design pattern. Exact copy of the Stickley bow-arm Morris.

The curved back seat slats are bandsawn from 8/4 material, and you just never know until you saw out the parts and begin to spokeshave them fair and smooth, whether you have cut the parts from stock with internal flaws. See the pics. I had sawn out all ten of the slats and was cleaning them up, and found two that need to be remade.

Speaking of the legs, I had planned to use the lock-miter joint, with each side at 3/4", and each side exhibiting ray-flake. I have the setup and have done lock-miter before for Stickley-style legs. I did it differently this time, and it turned out quite well. Glue up three thicknesses of 3/4", the center one can be anything like poplar, whatever, then rip the stack to a heavy 2" width. Joint or plane down to a perfect and square 2". Your goal now is to face each side with a "veneer" of quartersawn material at a finished thickness of 1/8". I did it by resawing out of 3/4" stock, then planing down to 1/4", gluing on those heavy "veneers," and then cleaning up the overhangs, finishing up by planing down both sides to leave 1/8" on. The legs get a scant 1/8" chamfer on all arrises. See photos.

post-5745-0-54837200-1320368247_thumb.jp

post-5745-0-46238800-1320368259_thumb.jp

post-5745-0-24631700-1320368875_thumb.jp

Posted · Report post

i love quarter sawn white oak. keep us abreast of where you buy your wood if you buy online and they give a good product then i might give them a call.

Posted · Report post

What is case hardened lumber?

Posted · Report post

Lumber that is dried too quickly, it shrinks too much on the surface before the inside dries out enough and causes a lot of internal stress, which can warp badly, check badly or honeycomb (tons of checks throughout the inside). Often case hardened lumber ends up being firewood.

Posted · Report post

I'd go with quadralinear legs, just like Stickley.

4/4 to 8/4 QSWO should be on every street corner in PA...

Posted · Report post

Try calling Boulter Plywood. They are in Maryland I believe. That's where I get most of my lumber and ply; great people and they really know their stuff. They deal with white oak a lot for boat builders, but I don't think it's going to be KD; just air dried (which I personally prefer). www.boulterplywood.com Ask for Chris and he'll take care of ya!

Hope this helps!

Posted · Report post

Just curious, but what (if any) plans are you following? I just started work on the one from Wood Magazine a few years back. Fortunately found plenty of QSWO in town.

Posted · Report post

I don't know where you live. In Los Angeles I have a great relationship with Bohnfoff Lumber

Bohnhoff Lumber

(323) 263-9361

3411 East 26th Street

Los Angeles, CA 90023