Sketchup Thru Tenon/Mortis

lighthearted

Help!

Trying to draft thru tenons and I'm having issues.

I draw the piece of wood, add my guidelines and use the push/pull tool to remove the thru mortis, but it does not always want to go all the way thru or doesn't cut the bottom plane.

Does that question make sense?

I've accomplished it in a few stupid ways but can't reproduce.

Help--Frustrated and taking a break!

Thanks!!!!!!

post-789-0-75211200-1320723619_thumb.jpg

I am not a sketchup expert but --

There are two lines on flat surface on the left in the area where the mortise is. Have you tried deleting those? The unwanted surface on the back could be coming from the line on the back side. Take that like away and the unwanted surface might go away.

Just my first thought.

I draw the piece of wood, add my guidelines and use the push/pull tool to remove the thru mortis, but it does not always want to go all the way thru or doesn't cut the bottom plane.

Sometimes a plane is left, like a very thin film. Similarly, you always get a plane when you enclose a shape. If you don't want that, just select the plane (as if you were going to use the push-pull tool), then press the 'Del' key. The plane should then go away.

John

When looking at both arcs, I notice that there is not a line where they intersect the flat surface. It almost looks like the arcs are part of a larger object which is buried below (or to the left of) the vertical surface - but I am guessing. Once you join the arcs or "intersect" them with the flat surface, you should be able to use your push/pull tool.

Hmmm.

If I just draw a box and in the middle of the box I draw a circle, shouldn't I be able to push/pull the circle (double click) and have a hole in my block?

I've had times where there is a whole, but the bottom of the box is either solid or gone completely, leaving the bos to be an open frame.

@Jeff, That was extremely helpful. It had recently occurred to me that I was making it harder than it needed to to be and thought the Intersection was the way to go, But I had not tried it. Today I'll give it a whirl. The mirror tool also seems like it could be quite useful. Thanks for you help!!!!!

• 1 year later...

I have found that the easiest way to modeling thru tennons and/mortises or any other joints, is to make each piece seperatley without joints. then create your tenon, position the tenon where u want it. then right click and select the option Intersection. this will create the outline of the mortis, then go back into the other component and use the pencil tool to create the mortis on one of the faces and then select it and push it till it disappears