nova sn2 or midi?

jimmykx250

Im contemplating which chuck to buy. Teknatool says on their website if you have 12" or less swing (which is me) buy the midi and the sn2 for 14" or more swing? What difference does the swing make for these two chucks? Any one care to share a review or personal preference between the two. Roger has recomended the sn2 which im leaning toward but cash is tight. Thanks, Jim.

I was debating the exact same thing a while back. At the local woodcraft, I talked to a guy who I trust, both in knowledge and that he is an honest businessman. If you assume the SN2 is a better chuck than the midi, then the following logic is pretty solid. It is recommended to use the smaller chuck so the weight doesn't wear out the bearings on the lathe. But if you consider that you are going to chuck up a decent sized chunk of whatever to turn a bowl, the weight differential is minimal. OR if you are just turning pens, it is the weight equivalent of chucking up a little more wood.

To me, that made perfect sense.

The other thing to consider, and this paid off for me just the other day, is the that supernova will take ALL of the components (cole jaws, worm screw ,etc) but the midi will only accept a few accessories.

I went with the supernova. I could not be more pleased.

• 1 month later...

G3 is a pleasure to work with. It works as expected and better in some cases. The only thing i dont like is the cole jaw attachment. They seem odd for alignment issues like you have to fuss with them to get them aligned. I have numbered them so hopefully the next time i need them it wont be such a hassle. Also isnt there a better way to attach the nubs that hold the bowl top? Way too much time spent moving all the buttons. Otherwise im happy.