Bamboo Plywood ??

dwacker

I need to build a simple pedestal 12x12x36, needs to be bamboo. Doesn't matter if edges are exposed and polished or mitered, I prefer mitered to match the flooring. Now the question to anyone that has some longer term experience with this stuff. I'd like to know if it truly stable? Some say its terrible others say it as stable as it gets, no real consistent answers. If its not stable I don't want to miter the edges. Ive never received a complaint even with slab doors but want to make sure, on the other hand have only done a bunch euro cabs with the stuff.

Thank you

Don

Hi Don,

I've been in the bamboo plywood panel industry for 6 years and this is my experience:

Not all bamboo boards are manufactured the same. Think of these boards in the same way you would high quality vs low quality chipboard/MDF pressed boards. It takes skill, knowledge and well controlled factory production processes to produce a quality board. Bamboo boards have the same criteria. Not all bamboo board suppliers are equal when it comes to quality and dimensional stability. This is why you've heard such conflicting reports.

One of the most important aspects of these plywood panels is the glue used to press the boards. A quick way to check the quality of the glue used to press the bamboo board, is to request a sample from your supplier and pop it into your dishwasher for a hot wash cycle or two. If the sample starts to delaminate, you need to look for a better supplier. If you find a good supplier, you'll start to wonder why you haven't used more bamboo in your projects.

For full length stability, if you have a quality bamboo board supplier, then I suggest the following parameters to work within:

• For lengths greater than 2 m I would not recommend a thickness less than 18 mm.
  • Vertical cross laminated boards have a recommended maximum unsupported width of 550 mm and length of 3,600 mm at a thickness of 20 mm.
  • An increment of up to 500 mm in unsupported width can be added for each 10 mm gain in thickness. Weight will become a factor to consider at this point, so check your hinges, etc.
  • I'd highly recommend you apply an equal number of coats of the sealant to all surfaces of the board.

If you are interested, I have a PDF detailing all the important specifications around bamboo boards & panels - just let me know & I'll send it to you.

Regards

Bradley

@orientalbamboo

Hi Don,

I've been in the bamboo plywood panel industry for 6 years and this is my experience:

Not all bamboo boards are manufactured the same. Think of these boards in the same way you would high quality vs low quality chipboard/MDF pressed boards. It takes skill, knowledge and well controlled factory production processes to produce a quality board. Bamboo boards have the same criteria. Not all bamboo board suppliers are equal when it comes to quality and dimensional stability. This is why you've heard such conflicting reports.

One of the most important aspects of these plywood panels is the glue used to press the boards. A quick way to check the quality of the glue used to press the bamboo board, is to request a sample from your supplier and pop it into your dishwasher for a hot wash cycle or two. If the sample starts to delaminate, you need to look for a better supplier. If you find a good supplier, you'll start to wonder why you haven't used more bamboo in your projects.

For full length stability, if you have a quality bamboo board supplier, then I suggest the following parameters to work within:

• For lengths greater than 2 m I would not recommend a thickness less than 18 mm.
  • Vertical cross laminated boards have a recommended maximum unsupported width of 550 mm and length of 3,600 mm at a thickness of 20 mm.
  • An increment of up to 500 mm in unsupported width can be added for each 10 mm gain in thickness. Weight will become a factor to consider at this point, so check your hinges, etc.
  • I'd highly recommend you apply an equal number of coats of the sealant to all surfaces of the board.

If you are interested, I have a PDF detailing all the important specifications around bamboo boards & panels - just let me know & I'll send it to you.

Regards

Bradley

@orientalbamboo

Perfect just what I was looking for.

Thank you

Don

Bradly, I would be grateful if you would post the pdf file here. Anyone that is interested can download the file. Thank you.

Here's the PDF Bamboo Boards - Production Considerations.pdf - we update it from time to time, so there may be a later version available as time marches on - check the date of the post & if it's dated, give me a shout for an updated version.

Would love practical comments on the PDF - I always appreciate feedback. I'm in South Africa, so some of my comments are specific to our climate and regional factors.

Hope it helps.

Bradley

• 2 weeks later...

Any feed back on the PDF - Bamboo Boards - Production considerations? I'd love feedback.

Don, here's a coffee table project we did using an 18 mm strand woven composite bamboo board. All the edges are mitered.

20110419-101749.jpg

I wrote up a post on the "making of" this bamboo coffee table with pictures of all the steps - used one board for the project. You'll notice that there is no bracing for stability, just stock standard glued mitered edges. You can check it out on this post "Bamboo coffee table – sustainable furniture design" or on our Facebook page - OrientalBamboo.

Cost approximately R 1700 ($200) for the project.

Don, I hope that helps answer your questions on mitering bamboo boards.

Regards

Bradley

Any feed back on the PDF - Bamboo Boards - Production considerations? I'd love feedback.

Don, here's a coffee table project we did using an 18 mm strand woven composite bamboo board. All the edges are mitered.

20110419-101749.jpg

I wrote up a post on the "making of" this bamboo coffee table with pictures of all the steps - used one board for the project. You'll notice that there is no bracing for stability, just stock standard glued mitered edges. You can check it out on this post "Bamboo coffee table – sustainable furniture design" or on our Facebook page - OrientalBamboo.

Cost approximately R 1700 ($200) for the project.

Don, I hope that helps answer your questions on mitering bamboo boards.

Regards

Bradley

Bradly,

Thanks for the info. I did get this little job done. The pillar turned out just fine all five sides mitered easily and it looked great and customer was happy.

Don

• Like 1

Regards

Bradley

Bradley, thank you for posting your pdf file on Bamboo Boards. I looked through it, and the information looks good. What I did notice, however, is that all of the pictures looked like they were enlargements of smaller pictures. The images look “fuzzy” and pixilated. I’ve seen this in pdf files that were generated online where people can create a pdf file for free. For some reason, this method produces very low resolution images in the pdf, whereas the text is always sharp. The Adobe Acrobat program will allow full resolution images to be generated in the final pdf files. Just an observation.

• 2 weeks later...

Bradley, thank you for posting your pdf file on Bamboo Boards. I looked through it, and the information looks good. What I did notice, however, is that all of the pictures looked like they were enlargements of smaller pictures. The images look “fuzzy” and pixilated. I’ve seen this in pdf files that were generated online where people can create a pdf file for free. For some reason, this method produces very low resolution images in the pdf, whereas the text is always sharp. The Adobe Acrobat program will allow full resolution images to be generated in the final pdf files. Just an observation.

Thx for the feedback.

As the file was a couple of MB, I ran the "Reduce file size" command on Pages & it dropped to 680kb so I could upload it to the forum. I have a high res version. Let me know & I can send it to you directly.

• 3 years later...