first purchase advice - bandsaw/tablesaw, jointer/planer?

jonathan.parsons

Hi, I apologise if this question has been raised before. As a newbie I am considering purchasing my first woodworking machine for my "shop" which is actually a small single garage with all the usual family clutter. I have a decent size work bench but not room for much else, space is at a premium. I am a hobbyist rather than professional and to date my projects have all been completed with a hand tools, circular saw, jigsaw and router. I have occasional use of another workshop which helps with milling but i would like to do more work at home. I have been going around in circles with what machine to buy first, a bandsaw or table saw. I know both are ideal but in my case space is the major factor. I would like to be able to cut wood to size and to help with joints. I know that a jointer and or planer will be needed next and again space is important. My inclination is for a 14 inch bandsaw and a bench mounted planer ( dewalt 12inch). However there are plenty of reviews that suggest a table saw would be the best first buy followed by a jointer or combined jointer planer (planer/thkcnesser as we say in yorkshire) !

I think this a great site and welcome members advice, i hope i have provided enough information about my needs.

cheers

jonathan

I have a small shop too and my first big tool purchase was a table saw which I now feel was a mistake - it takes up too much room and I seldom do large projects in this small space. I wish I would have got the band saw first.

But my real advice is to figure out what kind of projects you're going to do and buy the equipment you need for those projects. I started out thinking I was going to do cabinetry and larger furniture projects but have ended up doing small projects - boxes, cutting boards and marquetry pieces and most often use my table saw as an assembly table. And I have a few other tools that I rarely use.

and I could really use a band saw for the stuff I do now.

• Like 1

I would personally choose the bandsaw. Combined with an interest in hand tool work, there is little that you can not accomplish and it is the most compact of the two machines. Your circular saw and router can take care of panel goods for now. My first purchase was a bench grinder which I've never regretted. It allowed me to make tools that I could not yet afford to buy, not to mention ease the sharpening process.

James Krenov always maintained that the bandsaw was the safer tool for most solid wood work. You can rough out joinery easily and get on to the fun of cleaning them up with hand tools. From a budgetary standpoint, trying to get a cheaper tablesaw working well is always a frustration while the same money can buy you a much better bandsaw. If space is a concern, there are no small good quality tablesaws. You would have to buy a cheap one.

When I started woodworking 25 years ago I started with a tablesaw and a router. When I asked a similar question to an experienced woodworker he told me to buy a drill press next. I did and it turned out to be a good recommendation. I found that accurate drilling was just as important as accurate machining on the tablesaw and with the router. When I purchased hardwoods back then it was surfaced 2 sides and had the mill joint one edge. That minimized my need for a jointer until I had the cash to buy it.

J, depends on your interests (hand, power, etc) and what types of projects you want to start with....

Your first tool need is the hardest: space to work... You mention it. Just remember it's not just the footprint of the tool itself. Each tool needs some speace around them to operate safely.

My first projects/floorprint drove me to the bandsaw, router and a collection of hand tools (some flee market) and a small bench. With this collection, you can do a lot. You would need to buy at least S2S lumber to get started -- so your run cost will be a little higher, but space requirement a little lower... I then got a drill press and contractor TS. Moved to large TS, jointer/planer when I got the space.

Don't forget decent lighting... Plus clamps, clamps and more clamps... H

My suggestion would be a GOOD bandsaw and a track saw. That will do almost everything a table saw will. You have a router so you can use it for dados.

Stay away from benchtop jointers. They are crap. Buy a good planer like a dewalt 735 and build a sled for it, you can do all your jointing with it.

Thanks for all the helpful advice. It looks like the bandsaw wins and I was leaning to this from the outset. I think the dewalt 733 planer might be worth a look as well. Marc speaks highly of this machine. I would be confident of rough planing to square or using a sled.

I will let you know how i get on

cheers

jonathan

Thanks for all the helpful advice. It looks like the bandsaw wins and I was leaning to this from the outset. I think the dewalt 733 planer might be worth a look as well. Marc speaks highly of this machine. I would be confident of rough planing to square or using a sled.

I will let you know how i get on

cheers

jonathan

Can you swing a 735 in the budget? A little larger, better height adjustment, two speed and you can upgrade to a shelix head later if you want. I'd rather have a used 735 than a new 733 if you can find one.

Everyone's preferences are different, but in my shop the TS is the number tool. Most wood shops are centered around the TS, and that's where I'd put the most resources.

If you choose a BS as a primary saw, you'll need to dress the edges before glue ups b/c the cut is much rougher than with a TS.

After breaking-down some stock last night, i'd revise my list to include a track saw much earlier. If you plan any work with sheet goods and/or space is a premium, then it can double for a table saw for a lot of operations -- less efficient, more setup, etc -- but you can do the cuts -- that is the important thing.

I wold agree with those who vote for 'king' TS -- but in a shop with some space. In fact, I decided to break-down my TS panel cutter --- been with me for a decade, but the TS55 has relegated it to 'buggy whip' status.

Some folks do cool things with casters these days -- so you may also want to think 'out-of-the-box' on mobility. Check YouTube for shop mobility.

One day somebody will pry my SawStop 5HP single phase 220 volt Industrial Table Saw from my cold dead hands, or maybe I'll be burried with it.

I make cabinets... a lot of cabinets. I have my saw set up to rip sheet goods. Working alone, I can easily turn a 4x8 sheet of plywood into perfectly accurate, square, managable chunks faster and safer than most guys can even set up their track saw and mark their panels.

The best advice I've ever heard is figure out what you want to build and THEN buy the best tools you can afford to do those tasks. If I made chairs all the time, my huge-a$$ table saw would be all but useless. If I made jewelry boxes all the time, I'd be wasting a heck of a lot of space. Sure I sometimes do these things, but the lion's share of my work (and most of what I get paid for) has been and continues to be some form of large cabinetry projects.

Sorry for the passion, but I really like my SS TS!