50" TV stand

sgregory

I like where this is going!

If you are looking to lighten the legs a little bit, perhaps you could taper the inside two faces of each legs, from just below the bottom shelf down to the floor.

You will likely have to play with some test pieces to see how much to take off, but I'm guessing a 25% reduction would look good (1/2" taper, assuming those are 2"x2" legs).

I like that idea Torch! I with the style I was doing this in, I kinda went for the block look rather than hit the lathe...but adding a little contour to the leg might be a damn nice touch!

What do you think about the structural integrity of relying on doweling? Do you think that will be enough to keep it stable?

Do you plan to dowel into the top or into the apron? Apron would be best, IMO.

On the connection to the lower shelf, can you still cut a small dado into the leg? A dowel inside the dado going into the shelf would probably be the strongest. This would give you a horizontal ledge for the shelf to rest on plus some extra gluing surface.

I like the tapered leg idea, 1/2" on a two in leg might be a bit too much if you're only doing it to the bottom 6" or so.

Just my 2 cents.

Joe

Thanks joe. Thus far, this this what I have done. I did dowel the top, of course...then I did 2 1/4 dowels in the apron. I also dropped 4 corner brace "l" brackets on the "L" .

i went for full structural integrity on this one. Wish I had thought of the dado in the first place... damn. that was a perfect idea.

this is what I have now. Tung oil finish cut 50% with mineral spirits.

IMAG0119.jpg

IMAG0118.jpg

IMAG0117.jpg

IMAG0114.jpg

IMAG0110.jpg

structurally, I am impressed. Visually....many things I would have changed. 1st would be mitering the box facving...second would be inlaying the facing. 3rd would be tapering the legs for much more visual appeal. Not bad from a google sketchup that I changed about 15 times :)

thanks for the input and I appreciate it. Please keep it coming for future reference!

*S*

And its delivered. Dad loves it, fits his decor pretty good. I love the way the Brazillian cherry finished out. They say the Paduk will brown over time...I hoping a long time!

Still wish I had done something more fluid to the legs instead of the blocky look. Dad wanted it that way though. Tough to argue with the client!

dadtv2.jpg

dadtv.jpg