Short/Medium term workbench options--help me choose

wchesterpa

I desperately need a workable surface for handtooling. But I have way too many things in queue to take the time to build the workbench I really want (say a split-top Roubo with Benchcrafted hardware for instance).

Options I'm considering:

1. Attempt a quick build of the recent Fine Woodworking basic bench (but those quick builds always turn into longer builds along the way) with an end vise (http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/42784/build-your-first-workbench/page/all)

2. Build a larger version of a "Bench-on-Bench" that I can clamp on top of my existing bench, with an end vise, perhaps designed to pair with the the Moxon vise from Gramercy.

3. Buy this Grizzly bench that is on sale now: http://www.grizzly.com/products/T10157

4. Buy this Rockler bench that is on sale now: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=22098&filter=Rockler%20Outlet

All of these would seem to allow reuse of parts when I do get around to building my real bench. One seeming advantage of the Grizzly is that I could put that off for a good 5 to 10 years and save up the money to really do it right.

Thoughts? Anyone have experience with one of the Grizzly benches?

Any thoughts on vises would also be appreciated.

I've had a Sjöberg bench similar to the Rockler for over five years. I am now ready to graduate to the split top Roubo guild built. The Sjöberg was good value in my mind. Got me going. Built lots of great pieces with it. Serious hand planing was a problem. Bench just not stable enough. Would brace it against a fence post, or garage door frame.

With the double vises you can do quite a bit of work holding when incorporating clamps, holdfasts, battens and cleverness. Top is pretty thin but the apron helps a bit. I recently added a Moxon and very much like that.

To my eye the Grizzly doesn't do it. The Rockler looks like a bench. Keep in mind that the support structure is pretty flimsy. Keep the bolts tightened and don't expect it to be a small Roubo. It doesn't take the ultimate bench to be a woodworker, but they sure can smooth out the process and your attitude. Good luck.

I desperately need a workable surface for handtooling. But I have way too many things in queue to take the time to build the workbench I really want (say a split-top Roubo with Benchcrafted hardware for instance).

You didn't specify what your project list is like, or what you are currently using for hand tool work. But I'm going to suggest that not getting yourself a "workable surface" in the name of getting things done is a clear case of being penny-wise and pound-foolish. Once you have a real work surface, your efficiency with hand tools will go up so much that the time spent making the workbench will be completely worth it. And those projects in your queue will go more quickly, be more enjoyable to make, and turn out better.

If your ultimate goal is a split top Roubo, go for it. The time spent will be completely worthwhile. It's really not that complicated of a project. After all, how many people who have built a workbench have come back to say, "I shouldn't have spent so much time on it."? Every time I use my workbench I think that I should have built it faster.

Thanks for these thoughts. Being penny-wise and pound-foolish is exactly my concern with this decision. I certainly don't want to spend on a bench that's "not going to get it done."

The projects are generally small furniture pieces. In the queue right now are some adirondack chairs, a simple wall hanging display case for my dad to display his dad's handtools, a shaker sofa table for my mom. I've completely fallen for using hand tools to get things exactly right. I use my power tools to get things close and then switch to hand tools. Started with the shoulder plane, then the block plane, then the jack and #4, rabbet plane and router plane are wrapped and under the tree.

Where I'm leaning now is toward that Fine Woodworking design with a view to being able to turn that into an assembly table or to re-use parts for my future bench.

I hear you on getting started on the real bench but there are 2 issues there:

1) I'm already 6 months behind on these projects, and have promised my wife that I'll have a pencil post bed done this summer so taking 3 months to build a bench (which is what it would take me) probably won't work.

2) I don't think I have enough experience yet to a) know what I want, and B) to successfully make my "forever" bench.

Very happy to hear more thoughts.

Not sure if you have heard of the Hand Tool School but he is going to build a Joinery Bench during the first part of semester 3. This looks to be a great bench and features the moxon vise and is set a little higher for most joinery tasks. I know I have heard him talk about adding a planing beam that attaches to the bench in some fashion too. I was thinking about building the split top Roubo until Shannon announced that the HTS was going to build this joinery bench. Not sure what your experience level in hand tool work is but I highly recommend his school. Good luck!

I'm going to try one more time to save you from yourself. ^_^ And believe me, I've been down the path you are thinking of taking.

Where I'm leaning now is toward that Fine Woodworking design with a view to being able to turn that into an assembly table or to re-use parts for my future bench.

Don't worry about turning a bench into an assembly table or reusing parts. Make a proper bench and make a proper assembly table when it comes time. Reusing parts will save at most $50 in construction grade lumber, if you go that route in terms of the wood for your bench. You're going to blow away $50 of wood in the form of scrap on the first project you make out of a decent grade domestic hardwood. And a workbench is a tool that you will use every single time you step into your shop. This is not the thing to take shortcuts on.

I hear you on getting started on the real bench but there are 2 issues there:

1) I'm already 6 months behind on these projects, and have promised my wife that I'll have a pencil post bed done this summer so taking 3 months to build a bench (which is what it would take me) probably won't work.

If it will take you 3 months to make a bench, then you'll be done by March. That leaves you five months (April to August) to make a pencil post bed. With a proper work surface, that's completely doable. And the skills you'll get from making the workbench will transfer over to your bed project, so the time spent will be worthwhile in improving your woodworking skills alone.

Without a proper bench, you have 8 months to make a pencil post bed without any place to do your hand tool work. My bet is that you're not going to make that deadline, and the bed won't come out as well. And it will be a lot less fun.

Again, I did a lot of stuff before I made my Roubo. After I finally completed my Roubo, I can't believe how much easier everything is compared to what I was doing before.

Finally, don't worry about knowing what you want in a bench. All the classic bench designs will work. You can make a split top Roubo, a solid top Roubo (like mine), a Nicholson, a Holtzapffel, a Scandinavian, or a Japanese style beam on trestles, and you will be able to make whatever project you want, and it will be way better than not having a good place to do hand tool work. Over time, you'll figure out what tweaks to make, and at that point you'll have enough experience so that making those tweaks will be minimal work for you. But my bet is that whatever bench you build, you'll be just fine with it.