Leigh R9 Plus Joinery System

Frank Speyerer

I did a review for Highland Woodworking here:

It's good for what it is - make sure to compare the features you want. Overall, I prefer a more expensive, more versatile jig. But for dovetails and box joints, this is a good one. The biggest downside is having to make your own "beam" - but it's pretty cool to be able to make dovetails along a long side of a chest with this jig (it can handle any length).

Cool - glad it helped Frank. Always let me know any feedback on how I can improve the videos, I appreciate it!

Yeah - totally agree Don. The beam isn't hard to make, but it's annoying and definitely takes some time to get it all right. The jig is definitely high quality as you would expect from Leigh - thick metal, solid attachments, etc. I'm not that familiar with other manufacturers jigs of similar type, so I can't really compare. I've heard good things about the Keller also.

• 1 month later...

I needed something to cut dovetails for a large (21") wide case, so I bought one, and have set it up. It does allow for the backer board and clamping surface to be made from 3/4” MDF, as finding 5/8 MDF around here is a pita....... I had 3/4" MDF, and used it with no issues.

The making of the beam is critical to the use of the jig. It's fairly straight forward, although the drawing in the manual is not quite current. You need to go to their web site to download the latest drawing. Once the beam is done, the jig is ready to go.

It's ability to do wider panels is dependent on a step-and-repeat type of jig positioning. The base kit gives the capacity to cut up to 18", so I had to buy an extra set of "pin plates" and make a longer beam.

The jig itself is OK, and it does what it says. The biggest issue I found was that if you don't center the e-bush bushing (since the e-bush is elliptical, kind of hard to do), there is no amount of adjustment that will allow the jig to be repeatable. Also, as it is a fixed tail and pin template, you must get used to cutting the tails in every other slot, but it works.

As I needed to join 3 21” panels with dovetails, I made a 40 ” beam, and bought an additional set of "locator plates". With a lot of test cuts to dail in the e-bush setting and a steep learning curve for a newbie to dovetailing, and a considerable amount of knashing of teeth, the dovetails are where they are supposed to be.

Overall, for a first experience using any dovetail jig, and considering the price point, the results were satisfactory. However, seeing other fixed position jigs, like the Keller, does makes me rethink my purchase. Now I have to learn a bit more about finessing those scribe lines…......

-- -Gerry, Hereford, AZ ” A good woodworker knows how the hide his / her mistakes.”