End Cap Options

Hi all,

Been staring at SketchUp ALOT over the past few weeks and I find myself (much to the amusement of my wife) wondering aloud "Am I the only one who prefers end cap option #2?" I really dont see myself removing the end cap to run the bench top slabs through the planer and it seems to me that the enclosed mortise and tenon on #2 might offer a bit more integrity.

With that said, I've been monkeying with the SU document to derive the dimensions of end cap #2. Has anyone else done this? Anyone care to give me a reality check? Is my adult onset OCD flaring?

"Let's get ready to Rooooubooooooooooooooooo!"

Cheers,

Adam

Adam, I've gone with Option 1. In my opinion, once I'd done the initial thicknessing on the top, I don't see a point where I will ever run these two pieces through the planer again. Any maintenance will be a fairly short bout of work with a jointer plane. I'm almost done with the build. You can see my approach here: http://www.tumblewood.blogspot.com/ I'm up to 7 posts on this build. All I have left is the bottom shelf, the leg vise and the finish. It's been a really great build!

I went with option 1 with glue. I also don't plan on running this sucker through my planer. But I don't feel option 2 offers any increased integrity. Closing the mortise in the back just creates more work. As designed, the tenon won't even tough the mortise wall anyway since we need the room for expansion. So perhaps you want option 4, lol. That is, option 2 with an open mortise and a longer tenon. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Can someone explain, if you were not going to glue the endcap, how you would actually get it off ?

Without a great deal of bending of the front lamination I cant see how you would get away without breaking anything.

Sorry to mention in, just woke up in the night thinking about it.

Sad I know

CC

Can someone explain, if you were not going to glue the endcap, how you would actually get it off ?

The "Option 1" endcap allows you to slide the endcap backward, away from the dovetailed front laminate. To achieve this, the big mortise inside the endcap is wider than the tenon. So there is a little pocket inside the endcap that the tenon can slide into. This would likely require a mallet, but if there is no glue the endcap should come off.