What Ply do you use to make Jigs?

tim0625

I see all sorts of pictures where people use various types of wood to build jigs. I know there's MDF, A/C, B/C etc....but I'm interested in the plywood that has the very thin layers. I know years ago, some called it signboard because painters used it for signs because of its slick surface and stability due to the exterior glue and thin layers. I also hear many speaking about "Baltic Birch". Now, is BB the same as the birch ply that HD sells? I see HDO and MDO plywood on the internet. Is this the 'signboard'? Is this Baltic Birch? Is Baltic Birch Home Depot birch? Help. thanks

Tim

Except for very specific needs, most of my jigs are built from whatever scrap sheet goods I have laying around.

Most often, this is Baltic birch, MDF, and prefinished maple. I have a taper sled built from cherry ply, though...

If you have no scrap, I'd suggest big box birch ply or MDF for typical stuff, and BB when you need it to be extra good.

• Like 1

I don't think I've ever seen Baltic birch at Home Depot before. In south Louisiana I can only find it at one of the hardwood suppliers. I usually use the 1/2" thick stuff to make 90% of my jigs. It is usually only found in 5' x 5' sheets (actually metric). It also makes excellent zero clearance inserts for the table saw as well. If you find material at Home Depot that you think is Baltic birch, count the layers. 3/4" material should have at least 13 layers if it is Baltic. The 1/2" material should have 9 layers. Either way, it is much more stable than regular birch ply. Thus the reason it is more sought after for jugs and drawer boxes.

Kenny

www.thewoodninja.com

Baltic birch is different than what's sold at HD/Lowe's. In my experience it's multi-ply without voids in it. The birch cabinet ply sold at the big box stores is usually three ply and can contain voids. That's not to say it's useless and I've used it in the shop a lot as it's typically significantly cheaper than baltic birch (which usually around here comes in 5x5 sheets for about $15-$20 more than a 4x8 sheet of the big box birch).

I should clarify, that my Baltic (interchangable with Finnish) ply, does not come from big box stores.

My hardwood dealer regularily stocks 5x5, 4x8, and 5x10 sheets of 1/8" to 3/4" Baltic birch plywood. We also have a local plywood dealer who sells wholesale only, but has no minimum for those with a sales tax license. The hardwood dealer can get any of the 150+ items sold by the plywood dealer on a days notice, at retail prices.

The real deal is very flat, void free, and very stable. One of the main differences is that genuine BB has birch plies all the way through. The cheaper stuff has birch veneer on both faces, sometimes patched, but another species inside. Usually, the inside species appear to be poplar.

Most of my jigs are built from left over pieces of 1/2" baltic birch ply.

Tim Bob...left over from what???? That stuff is 'spensive! 1/2" x 5' x 5' is $40.85 per sheet from the local builder's supply PLUS a $15.00 handling charge (wrapping and delivering). If I order a couple sheets, it's the same $15 charge. How does all this sound? Is there a better way to order it?

Tim Bob...left over from what???? That stuff is 'spensive! 1/2" x 5' x 5' is $40.85 per sheet from the local builder's supply PLUS a $15.00 handling charge (wrapping and delivering). If I order a couple sheets, it's the same $15 charge. How does all this sound? Is there a better way to order it?

That seems high. My cost for 3/4 BB is 59 per 4x8 sheet retail is 89. Id check with the local cabinet shops and see if they will help you find a lower price.

Don

That seems high. My cost for 3/4 BB is 59 per 4x8 sheet retail is 89. Id check with the local cabinet shops and see if they will help you find a lower price.

GREAT price! Retail in my area for 4 x 8 x 3/4 genuine BB is $117, a 5 x 5 is $78.

How many sheets does an order need to qualify for the $59 price where you are?

GREAT price! Retail in my area for 4 x 8 x 3/4 genuine BB is $117, a 5 x 5 is $78.

No minumun with BB like with prefinished maple. You just need a wholesale account. The minimum to get a wholesale account is average $1500mo in purchases and have a resale permit. Even at retail the price is pretty good compared to places like woodcraft. $89 for a 4x8 makes it somewhat affordable.

Don

Barry - just one but like I said, If I order multiple sheets, they will wrap them all for a $15 handling charge.

Mike, where do you buy yours? I have today off and the wife and I are getting away for the weekend. For my first time....I'M GOING TO THE WOODCRAFT STORE!!! I will check out what they have in soooooo many ways.

Thanks...their prices look similar to Woodcraft. BTW, I spent 2 hours there on Friday PM and about 5 hours there on Saturday. It's really nice just to see a lot of what we work with, all in one place. Also, this was my first experience to get up close and handle the exotic woods. I brought some padauk and purple heart. I haven't the foggest what I'll do with them yet but something will come. God grew a purple tree....now that's just awesome.