Smoother To Scrub?

baok

I have a few older Stanley planes that I’m reasonably happy with (if I would only tune them up properly). But one of them is a #4 from the modern era and is described on Patrick Leach’s site as “the beginning of the end.”

I was wondering if it would be reasonable to re-grind the iron with an 8” radius and use it as a scrub plane? There’s probably nothing to lose.

Almost any old bench planes can make good scrubs, a #4 should do fine. The bottom doesn't need to be flat, tolerances are loose, etc... You will need a pretty big mouth opening, a lot bigger than a smooth plane will have. This is easily accomplished with files, and/or a Dremel, but there's no going back.

You can effectively open the mouth on a Stanley plane by adjusting the position of the frog. The one downside of making a scrub plane out of a #4 is that the sole is short enough that keeping the board flat as you hog off material might be an issue.

I have a #5 with a blade with an 8" radius on it that I use for hogging material. I never really needed to use a scrub plane since I have that one.

You can effectively open the mouth on a Stanley plane by adjusting the position of the frog. The one downside of making a scrub plane out of a #4 is that the sole is short enough that keeping the board flat as you hog off material might be an issue.

I have a #5 with a blade with an 8" radius on it that I use for hogging material. I never really needed to use a scrub plane since I have that one.

What he said!

• 2 weeks later...

I think you'll have an easy time of making this work. The dedicated scrub planes don't have a particularly long sole so that shouldn't be an issue.

I too use a number 5, I have a Hock blade and chip breaker in it for normal work, and switch to the original blade and chip breaker with a nine inch radius for scrubbing. Since the Hock is so thick and required me to move the frog back when I pop in the more heavily cambered but thinner iron I don't need to do any adjusting.

Brian