Brad Nail Length

Deaser

I recently bought my first brad nailer. Man, are they fun to use! It came with 1000 2" 18GA brads, but I'd like to get some shorter brads as well. I'm wondering what size brads everyone uses most frequently, and if there is a rule of thumb you use for brad length selection. Thanks!

When I nail I like the nail to go through piece I am nailing and about half way through what I am nailing. So If I am nailing a piece of 1/2 to a piece of 3/4 I would use a 1" brad. There will be many times you have to go a bit longer or shorter than the half way mark but this will give you an ides. I would get the smallest packs of 5/8, 3/4, 1, 1 1/4,1 1/2 nails (not necessarily all at once) that you can and watch what you commonly go for. I would guess that I use 5/8, and 1 1/4 the most but there are the other times where having the right size it great. Be careful, the brad can hit a denser area of wood causing it to do unexpected things! I also have gotten into the habbit of taking the brads out of the nailer after each use. I do this because when I first got mine I had forgotten that I had switched and put longer nails in before I had put it away the proir time, shot a nail through the project I was working on with my finger on the other side, luckily my finger kinda bounced off and only throbbed. Hope this helps and enjoy your new nailer!!

Nate

I typically keep a supply of 1 1/4" 1/2" and 2". A good general rule I learnt was that anytime you are nailing use a nail that goes through the first peice and then 1/3 that length into the next piece; this can be a little tricky with with inches sometimes no supplier I kow of sells in 1/3 increments, so just round up I. Just as a side note I know here that every so often my local home centres clear out there nail stock so try and wait till the nails go on sale to buy a large stock.

Cheers

Hans Christopher

Usually I just shoot a bunch of 6 inch brads through everything instead of clamping or joinery.

jk

1 1/4" is most common for me, i have trays with 5/8" laying around from something i had to work on a while ago. But yea, Im a carpenter and my guns are always shifted from my truck to work and back to the woodshop, and my brad nailer always has 1 1/4"s