Anyone in South Arkansas need wood...Picture Frame plant closing

Dozer's Workshop

Hey all,

I just found an interesting thing, FAS Grade Poplar and Oak in large quantities goingfor sale cheap. RIght now, they have 1500 lbs of oak going for $100 and 3 1/2 TONS of Poplar (in 1000lb lots) that should even be cheaper!

THe website is www.exfactoryauctions.com and from the main page go down to the Fordyce Auction. There is a picture frame company closing in Fordyce Arkansas (south of Little Rock, AR) and they are selling out the factory.

On page 11 there are 7 1000lb lots of Poplar First and Seconds that were going to be used to make frames...they look like 5/4 x 2" pieces mostly, about 9-10 ft long. The starting bid is $25... It does have a reserve, but if there is a 1,500 lb lot of oak (on page 12) with the reserve met at $100, I am betting you can get the poplar for less.

I would love to go stock myself up for life, but I am pretty sure my wife would kill me. :-) It is a bit far for me to drive since I am in Northwest Arkansas, and I just don't have the space for that much.

With that much quantity and at that great a price, if you need panels, it would be worth it to joint them and glue them up.

The auction ends on 02/07/12 so be sure not to let the clock beat you.

If postings like this should go somewhere else, or noone really cares, let me know...I am still a newbie here and am still learning!

~Dozer

Technically, this isn't FAS lumber. The FAS standard states that boards must yield a minimum clear section of 6" wide and 8' long.

http://www.ahec.org/hardwoods/pdfs/IllustratedGradingGuide.pdf

Yes, it is a lot of wood for not a lot of coin and it may have started life as good FAS stock; but having it pre-ripped so narrow makes it dramatically less useful.