Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chopcat

bench with veritas twin screw UK

1 post in this topic

yes. at the end of the roubo build my existing bench will have to go.

so if you are in the uk and not availing yourself of a fine roubo then my beech one is up for grabs.

I have just fitted a face veritas twin screw and given it an overhaul.

I am thinking it will be available march /April time. very much dependent upon receiving the bench hardware from the US.

I know I need to post a picture and will do so soon.

cc.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Popular Now

• Topics

• Couldn't resist a few labels for the round over radii. 
    • That looks good. Also that's a good idea. I like the look of it.
    • Lots of folks don't know that Altec Lansing, JBL and Bose all 3 envolved Johanne Bose Lansing at least in the beginning. I think he either sold out his share or disagreed and moved on only to start over using a different part of his name. Details , sequence and spelling may not be exact.
    • I have always fixed the drawer base to the rear of the drawer, never the front or sides.
    • That is one valid way to assemble a miter. Just remember never to miter a frame around a solid field without allowing for wood movement. It works with ply and veneers in some cases, otherwise treat it like a raised panel door with a floating panel that's allowed to expand and contract. Strap clamps, commercial and homemade miter clamps of several types work depending on the situation. Lots of situations call for reinforcement and alignment assistance using splines and tenons. Most commercially built mitered frame raised panel doors are cut on a machine that costs tens of thousands. It cuts to length with a saw blade and then routes a mortice in one end and an integral tenon in the other end. Most commercially made  custom picture frames are cut with a chopper that uses knives to shear and nibble the ends with stops to ensure accurate lengths. I use a guillotine type miter trimmer to shear mitered pieces cut on a chop saw. A shooting board & plane is another valid approach to get that elusive perfect mitered end . Extreme attention needs to be paid to making the opposite sides exactly the same length. I pair up the first part that's been cut and trimmed with the second rough cut one which has one end trimmed/shaved to perfection and mark using a marking knife. Then sneak up on the line taking very thin shavings. You can cut acceptable miters with a saw using a miter sled or similar jig. Cutting really accurate miters for a 4 sided frame using a power miter saw is actually quite difficult . The machine needs to be very finely adjusted with a razor sharp blade. Secondary fences for zero clearance help minimumize tearout. Any play in the hinge/pivot plus even the slightest sideways hand pressure while pulling the blade down can make the cut be distorted. Slide compound miter saws have even more moving parts that can introduce slight distortions. Extreme attention to stock preparation is important. Any variations in width, thickness,straightness or squareness will ruin mitered joints. Jointing and planing then checking with calipers and a square multiple times along the length can reveal variations in even the most carefully prepared stock. Commercially available molding can vary quite a lot when checked with a pair of calipers. Another sneaky trick to mitered joints is pay attention to aligning the inside corner  during assembly then shaving & sanding the rest of the joint to perfection after the glue has dried. This is a great way to recover from parts that vary in thickness & width or even very slight variations in lengths . Good Luck ! It's never as easy as you think. I can still struggle to get perfect miters after 40+ years woodworking.
  • Popular Contributors

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room