Nick2cd

How long between coats of Arm r seal?

9 posts in this topic

I put a coat of GF arm-r-seal on a project yesterday. i want to hit it with 0000 steel wool and put my next coat on but im not sure how long i need to let it set up in between coats. what's a good rule of thumb? it is inside a room approximately 62 degree temp. btw, the wood is walnut if it makes a difference.

It should't feel tacky when you press on it. Should dust when you sand it. Here in Arizona, I routinely can apply the second coat 2 hours after the first. Second to third requires a bit more time. Those are somewhat thinned and this is Arizona (did I mention?) Hard to say the rule of thumb. I'd suggest you keep an offcut of the project and apply coats on it as well as your project; apply them after your project. You can then test when you think it's good to go by trying to sand it lightly with 600 grit; if it dusts, you're fine. If it snots, wait longer. Use it as a Litmus test.

1 person likes this

I typically wait 24hrs... But that's probably a bit long. However, I don't have any issues with it being gummy.

I apply a coat in the morning and another in the evening.

How long do u allow the final coat to cure before buffing with a paper bag or fine grit abrasive?

Usually by the last coat. The finish is good to go and no need to rub out. But if I was going to rub it out. The longer it drys the better. A week, two weeks is even better. The longer the better.....did I just say that. ;)

Update: the finish went on and came out beautifully! Thank you all for the help and advice.

That's what makes this place great! Any pictures to post?

That's what makes this place great! Any pictures to post?

I posted some pics over in the general woodworking talk section

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Topics

• So I forgot to take pictures of this part, but I ended up doing a couple of setups on my cross cut sled instead of building the dog breeder jig. I didn't have a spare toggle clamp, and without a band saw to finish the cut I figure it was almost as quick. I cut a block with the 6.6 degree and for the bottom, and wedged the dogs against it for that cut. Next, I stuck down a piece parallel to the blade for the rip cut. This gave me this pile, after a couple of shallow cross cuts to free the waste. I found my gripper to be valuable through this part, because it held the pieces down very securely while keeping my fingers out of the way. It seemed fitting to use the wagon vise to finish these, so I clamped in each dog and used a large chisel to clean off the waste. A couple of them had minor accidents with too much waste splitting off, but all but one were good enough to keep. I'll clean them up a bit with a card scraper later and then install all the wooden springs.
    • Plywood doesn't expand/contract appreciably so it is best to leave it unglued in the groove so the solid wood can move. If you do glue it just put a dab on the center of one of the grooves - maybe the front panels. That will stop it moving but still allow the solid wood to expand or contract without affecting the plywood. If you are making it capable of being repaired so you can slide it in from the back then use some screws on the rear edge. If you glue the entire plywood to the solid wood sides you will find that the plywood may bend or crack. I like a nice sliding fit in the grooves. I am making some small drawers with 3mm thick plywood. I have routed a groove with 1/8" (3.2mm) router and that gives around 0.2mm to 0.3mm clearance which is about 7  to 10 thou ". 
    • Drawer bottoms suffer the most damage from abuse. I think not gluing is at least in part so that repair can be made down the road. Just one thought. 
    • First time staining and sealing something on 3 sides so I can glue it to something else. I was worried about stain transfer, I don't want that brown color getting on the cherry.     Maple scraps came in handy. One more thin strip to glue on the main piece then it's wipe on poly time. This freakish weather is awesome for letting me actually glue stuff in the shop.     Thanks, Coop. I hope it turns out cool. Shouldn't be long now.
  • Popular Contributors

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room