How long between coats of Arm r seal?

9 posts in this topic

Posted

I put a coat of GF arm-r-seal on a project yesterday. i want to hit it with 0000 steel wool and put my next coat on but im not sure how long i need to let it set up in between coats. what's a good rule of thumb? it is inside a room approximately 62 degree temp. btw, the wood is walnut if it makes a difference.

Posted

It should't feel tacky when you press on it. Should dust when you sand it. Here in Arizona, I routinely can apply the second coat 2 hours after the first. Second to third requires a bit more time. Those are somewhat thinned and this is Arizona (did I mention?) Hard to say the rule of thumb. I'd suggest you keep an offcut of the project and apply coats on it as well as your project; apply them after your project. You can then test when you think it's good to go by trying to sand it lightly with 600 grit; if it dusts, you're fine. If it snots, wait longer. Use it as a Litmus test.

Brian VanVreede likes this

Posted

I typically wait 24hrs... But that's probably a bit long. However, I don't have any issues with it being gummy.

Posted

I apply a coat in the morning and another in the evening.

Posted

I apply a coat in the morning and another in the evening.

How long do u allow the final coat to cure before buffing with a paper bag or fine grit abrasive?

Posted

Usually by the last coat. The finish is good to go and no need to rub out. But if I was going to rub it out. The longer it drys the better. A week, two weeks is even better. The longer the better.....did I just say that. ;)

Posted

Update: the finish went on and came out beautifully! Thank you all for the help and advice.

Posted

That's what makes this place great! Any pictures to post?

Posted

That's what makes this place great! Any pictures to post?

I posted some pics over in the general woodworking talk section