How long between coats of Arm r seal?

9 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I put a coat of GF arm-r-seal on a project yesterday. i want to hit it with 0000 steel wool and put my next coat on but im not sure how long i need to let it set up in between coats. what's a good rule of thumb? it is inside a room approximately 62 degree temp. btw, the wood is walnut if it makes a difference.

Posted · Report post

It should't feel tacky when you press on it. Should dust when you sand it. Here in Arizona, I routinely can apply the second coat 2 hours after the first. Second to third requires a bit more time. Those are somewhat thinned and this is Arizona (did I mention?) Hard to say the rule of thumb. I'd suggest you keep an offcut of the project and apply coats on it as well as your project; apply them after your project. You can then test when you think it's good to go by trying to sand it lightly with 600 grit; if it dusts, you're fine. If it snots, wait longer. Use it as a Litmus test.

Brian VanVreede likes this

Posted · Report post

I typically wait 24hrs... But that's probably a bit long. However, I don't have any issues with it being gummy.

Posted · Report post

I apply a coat in the morning and another in the evening.

Posted · Report post

I apply a coat in the morning and another in the evening.

How long do u allow the final coat to cure before buffing with a paper bag or fine grit abrasive?

Posted · Report post

Usually by the last coat. The finish is good to go and no need to rub out. But if I was going to rub it out. The longer it drys the better. A week, two weeks is even better. The longer the better.....did I just say that. ;)

Posted · Report post

Update: the finish went on and came out beautifully! Thank you all for the help and advice.

Posted · Report post

That's what makes this place great! Any pictures to post?

Posted · Report post

That's what makes this place great! Any pictures to post?

I posted some pics over in the general woodworking talk section

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Popular Now

• Topics

• The Summer of My Discontent
      By Eric. · Posted
        Yes, thank you Mr. Obvious. I've been too busy this summer.  The few scraps of shop time I've had I've tried to spend building instead of upgrading the shop.  Catch-22...spend your time making the shop comfortable so you can work in it - but that would require about all the shop time you have so there's no point making it comfortable. I'm looking forward to fall.  Just sayin'.
    • The Summer of My Discontent
      By Tom Cancelleri · Posted
      I wish I had a basement shop, just because it'd be bigger than my garage. Eric, I thought you had an AC in your shop. I think your motivation should be to insulate, because heat sucks, so insulating fixes the problem of the sucking heat.
    • Forum Update
      By thewoodwhisperer · Posted
      I fixed both of them. oddly enough it looks like the link was just removed. The forum using the thread link as default if nothing is populated. Might have to just fix these as we see them.
    • Acoustic Guitar from a 1960 Wurlitzer Piano
      By Madkrafter · Posted
      Hey Dave, Sorry, I didn't get a notice about your reply. I've been busy building a new photography website with Wordpress (totally new to me). Is it me or did things change around here? The format is different. Maybe I got carried away with my Wordpress tweaks and clicked something here??? Once the body is together, it's pretty stable as long as there are no large swings with humidity or temperature. I still have to do the binding around the guitar body and it does two things - protects the edges of the soft spruce top from bumps and dings, as well as sealing up the end grain. That said, it's been stable enough. I just met with a luthier friend and he said he has known guitar building projects to take years and all went well. The framed canvas is Provo Falls around Mirror Lake area.
    • Built in cabinets
      By Cliff · Posted
      It's not completely far off from where I am going. On a side note, I hate that dudes videos. Too short and not enough detail. Sometimes music that I don't  care to listen to then he stops and talks all the sudden so I can't leave it muted. Edit- Oh and I don't really have a miter saw. I do but it's small and stupid and nearly unusable! 
  • Popular Contributors

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room