Glalonde

Drum Sander

6 posts in this topic

I have the Performax 16-32. As you get down to the finer grits it is easy to take too much thickness in a pass or go to fast and load up the sandpaper which causes a burn. If a board is not straight you can have problems when it bows up off the feed belt. I think this is common to most affordable drum sanders.

Once you get the hang of running it it does a wonderful job. I have had mine for at least 15 years and use it daily in a small custom cabinet shop.

Pros & Cons on good quality drum sanders. For example: Wwodmaster

Woodmaster makes a good sander. Picking a sander really depends on how much work you sand and how wide. You can get the little jets cheap if you just need to do occasional sanding. If your running any real amounts of lumber your better off with something like the woodmaster double drum. The dust collection on the woodmaster leaves a little to be desired but overall its a fine machine.

Don

I have a Performax. It operates really well, but the stand that comes with it could use some work. When assembling everything, I was unable to tighten the bolts that hold the unit to the stand without lying on my back. Here's a pic of the result.

Look at the sag in the shelf. Directions say to put the stand together first, including the shelf, but with any significant weight the shelf will bend.

Adam

Great topic to start... I too am considering the purchase of a drum sander. Can't wait for additional insight. B)

I've been using a Performax 22-44 for about 7 years and I've been happy with it. At some point I'll probably purchase a nice dual drum model to replace it. Until then, it does a very nice job.

If you want something that can remove some wood like a planer, then a dual drum is what you'll want. If you just want something to do some light sanding, then the single drum models will do a good job.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Topics

• Hi Anna! Glad to have you join. That's some really nice work, and an excellent journal. Keep the updates coming, we LOVE to see pictures!
    • I suspect that the veneer is simply not flexible enough to form around the tight corners of the recess without splitting. You might try steaming or boiling the veneer to soften it. This would probably require a glue that cures in the presence of moisture, similar to the 'Gorrilla Glue' original. Veneering is not my thing, maybe a better answer will appear shortly.
    • We have a problem in MDF panel natural wood veneering.
      We intend to natural wood veneering cabinet and CNC machined 3d panel (with MDF core). We tested it with 0.3mm back fleeced wood veneer and the following glue:
      http://www.glue4u.com/index.php/data-sheets/tds-a-msds/jowat/436-150-90-tds
      We also use membrane hot press machine without vacuum capability. Unfortunately it didn’t work correctly. The wood veneer didn’t form well, especially in the concave area. You can see the final result of our failed test in the following link:
      http://postimg.org/image/cpt2ifz19
      http://postimg.org/image/urc7g8t25
      Can someone help me? Should I change the type of veneer or glue? Do you have any idea?
      Thank you in advance.  
    • Welcome to the forums Anna!  Pretty cool looking project!  Nice work as well!
    • I’m new to this forum, but have enjoyed looking at some of the other projects people are posting.  Thought I’d share a work in progress…   I’m working on an adjustable height table that will convert from a coffee table height to a desk/worktable height using a pulley system.  There’s a little model of the table below, along with some of the full size legs before shaping.    The model has rubber bands running between the dowels connecting the tops of the legs, but right now the plan is for that to be a pulley system on the full size version.   I’ve got part of the shaping on the legs done.     Still working on the mechanism that is going to hold these together in place of the dowels in the model.  Right not, I’m thinking a metal pipe with a threaded rod on the inside so I can add some wooden nuts to the outside to hold it tight.  I made a few prototypes of the “nuts” with a T-nut embedded in them to provide metal threads.  I don’t have pictures of that yet though.    The table top is a live edge tope inspired by the Scott Lewis cutting board from fine woodworking.  If you haven’t seen the video, it’s amazing…   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR9_CjQYZj4   I cut the slab below in half, but wanted to disguise the joint between the two pieces, especially because it’s such a figured board.     I made a curved template with a ½ inch gap using the router, and then used each side of the template to cut the curves on the top and bottom of the slabs.  This is the 2 pieces next to each other with the ½ inch gap in between.   Then I filled the gap with a ½ inch ribbon using maple, wenge, and cherry strips and clamped it up. I trimmed the excess with a Japanese saw and a block plane.       I’m planning to add another 2-3 ribbons, and tentatively planned them out with tape. I’ve cut the first one using another MDF template and a ¼ inch router bit with a guide bushing, cut about ¾ inch deep groove.  So far, I’ve got that once glued up and will add the rest of the ribbons in sequence.  You can see some of my templates at the top of the picture below.   Still a work in progress, but it’s been a fun project so far.  
  • Popular Contributors

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room